• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Flush

Sleb

Reaction score
City, State
MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I checked my power steering fluid today and it was absolutely black, so I proceeded to do a flush on the system. I Remove the ignition coil fuse to disable the vehicle. I disconnect the power steering return hose. Attached an extension hose between the power steering return hose and an empty container. Then turned the steering wheel from stop-to-stop while cranking the engine until the fluid exiting the power steering return hose came out clear and red (which took 10 Lt). After reattaching everything, I topped up the reservoir and went for a 15 min drive. When I got back I checked the fluid level again and it was a solid red colour almost milky red. My question is; Why is it this colour? Is there millions of tiny bubbles in there that make it look milky? Will it clear up after a few days? Has anyone else who has flushed there system out this way had this experience?
Tkx Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you have air in the fluid.

I have flushed mine and this did not happen.

You saw the bubbles after a short drive, but how does it look after you let it sit for a while? The air should be out of the system after driving around for a while. What type of fluid did you use? Did you put any additives into it? Sometimes additives could make it look foamy. Does it make a lot of hydraulic noise (if any noise at all)?

You saw the bubbles after a short drive, but how does it look after you let it sit for a while? The air should be out of the system after driving around for a while. What type of fluid did you use? Did you put any additives into it? Sometimes additives could make it look foamy. Does it make a lot of hydraulic noise (if any noise at all)?

I saw no bubbles at all but when I look in the reservoir the ATF fluid isn't clear it almost looks a milky red and still looks the same after 8 hours. I used Multi-Purpose (ATF) mercon Transmission Fluid and used no additives. No noise at all sounds the same as before I did the flush.

I turkey basted the reservoir & put it in a margarine container and the ATF looks like it is still a bit dirty even though I flushed with 10 ltr of fluid and it was coming out of the return hose crystal clear. In my original post when I said the ATF I changed was black, I meant it was as black as old motor oil, so I guess I'll let it cycle through all the pipes & pump for a few weeks and then do another flush.

looks like it is mixing with the old brake fluid. Possibly when you mix the two together you get a milky colour...kind of like when you have clean dish water and you take that water a put it in your roast pan it also turns milky...could be the same reaction

ALmost looks like there is a bit of water in it. Do you mean 10 pints, or 10 liters? 10 Ltrs would be almost 2 1/2 gallons.

ALmost looks like there is a bit of water in it. Do you mean 10 pints, or 10 liters? 10 Ltrs would be almost 2 1/2 gallons.

10 liters.....no water; it looked like it was still the original fluid, I have never seen power steering fluid so black before, I'm going to do another flush in a few weeks and I should get it back to clear red again.

Sleb,

Three years back, I changed my X's original PS fluid after it had been in the p/s pump 7 yrs - and man was it was red/black just as you described.

I ran 4-5 quarts/liters through the pump to get the fluid back to "clear" again - and then drained and re-filled with Valvoline Synthetic PS Fluid (Clear in color).

Three years later, I see the fluid is black again - and my X just turned 100,000 Miles.

So, for this go-round, I am going to replace the fluid, the high and low pressure hose p/s hoses, and the p/s pump w/ a rebuilt CARDONE unit.

BLACK P/S Fluid:
I believe the black color in the fluid is the inside of the p/s lines slowly deteriorating from all the heat generated by the p/s pump ( I live in California - where in the long run it's the high heat out here that eventually kills most cars).

The p/s pump has begun to wine a little more than usual, and the original p/s lines are 10 yrs old. I've bought everything through Rock Auto via mail order for approx $95 USD.

Regards,
Fast Dave

Sleb,

Three years back, I changed my X's original PS fluid after it had been in the p/s pump 7 yrs - and man was it was red/black just as you described.

I ran 4-5 quarts/liters through the pump to get the fluid back to "clear" again - and then drained and re-filled with Valvoline Synthetic PS Fluid (Clear in color).

Three years later, I see the fluid is black again - and my X just turned 100,000 Miles.

So, for this go-round, I am going to replace the fluid, the high and low pressure hose p/s hoses, and the p/s pump w/ a rebuilt CARDONE unit.

BLACK P/S Fluid:

I believe the black color in the fluid is the inside of the p/s lines slowly deteriorating from all the heat generated by the p/s pump ( I live in California - where in the long run it's the high heat out here that eventually kills most cars).

The p/s pump has begun to wine a little more than usual, and the original p/s lines are 10 yrs old. I've bought everything through Rock Auto via mail order for approx $95 USD.

Regards,
Fast Dave

Tkx Fast Dave, I don't think I will go to that extent just yet. I give it one more flush and keep my eye on it, hopefully it will stay clean......

Back