• Register Today It's free!

power steering growls

smegun

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
replaced my power steering unit but i can still hear growling wondering if i got a clog in the steering box to cause excessive pressure and noise from the power steer unit

there is a definate difference less noise made since the new PS pump but wondering if i should of changed the lines and blew out the PS box ?

:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it growling or whining?

I replaced my PS pump with a rebuilt Cardone that has the integral filter. I replaced both PS hoses, completely flushed the system with new fluid, and continued to bleed it until there were no more bubbles (air in the system).

It still whines! I think it's just the design of those pumps.

i should of replaced the hoses too some black residue left over from the previous years
later installing i noticed they were not completely fitted pressure lines but combos

i switched to F tranny fluid to experiment no real difference just getting worse

it was more whinny with the old pump of course but the pump still makes too much empellor noise less whinny on tight turns at low mph but noticable at low mph .... i turned both pumps the old pump had a little bit of grab the new pump was quiet untill installed there supposed to be completely rebuilt except for the housing maybe it will quiet down id still like to figure the best way to get a factory quiet out of it asking about the proper way to inspect or rectify the steering box is there garbage in the box or ? ...... im keeping an i on it and changing out the fluid untill its nice bright red ........ lifetime warranty advanced part cardone post any links .... i found a nice one regarding burnished spot on your steering wheel its change the u joints on the steering column before changing anything else

The Cardone pumps are completely rebuilt but they're rebuilt back to the original design and specs! That's the problem I think. If the original pump whined, the rebuilt one will whine.

I've just learned to live with it. Can't stand it, but live with it!

Back