Power steering help on a 1994 ford exploer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power steering help on a 1994 ford exploer

Gavin Kamp

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer EddieB
Hello I have a 1994 ford explorer and the power steering is making a streecking noice when I start up the vehicle. I put my power steering fluid in it. But Theres a leak or something because there is leak spots on my wheel well on the front side tire. please help

Screeching could be the bearings in the pump if it indeed is the power steering. It would be a good idea to take the serpentine belt off and feel the pulleys one at a time to see if any are loose or tight. The power steering pump will feel 'notchy', that's normal, you're pumping the fluid by hand. But if any are so stiff you can't turn by hand or they're wobbily, bearings need to be replaced.

As for the leak, can you tell where it's coming from? Usually the swivel connection on the side of the reservoir goes bad and starts leaking. You gotta replace the whole hose to fix it. Look under that fitting and see if there's drips or if it's wet and washed out. That's where I would look.

If push comes to shove, I would recommend getting a reman unit from Lares Corp on Rock Auto. They're cheap and professional.

Okay thank you! I will check the hose its leaking by their (natenkiki2004)

Wipe off all the leaking fluid and grime, remove the driver front tire, then remove the driver side inner plastic fender. It has plastic pull tabs and a few bolts, easy to remove. Get a portable light, start the engine and look for where its leaking. It should be relatively easy to spot. Usually its the hose connections, the main seal on the pump, or the seals on the box. Mine was leaking at the pitman arm shaft one time, and at the rear of the box at the flange mounts another time.

If its the pump, don't bother trying to reseal the pump. I tried that, ended up purchasing a remanufactured pump.

Back