• Register Today It's free!

Power steering leak help

02XLS4WD

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
I have a leak which I think I have narrowed down to the return line (brighter aluminum line in photos) from gearbox to cooler (return line). I'm having not much success in finding the right parts to replace or repair this line. Also, I have the nut off the swivel nut or whatever the fitting is called that has the two lines going into, but have not gotten any further than that. Not sure if there is a gasket or what under the bracket. Has anyone done a similar repair and point me in the right direction on what I'd need for part nos. etc? Thanks (this is for an '02 XLS 4.0)
A few pics...
wolverine08-albums-ps+lilne-picture199404-imag1338.jpg

wolverine08-albums-ps+lilne-picture199403-imag1337.jpg

wolverine08-albums-ps+lilne-picture199402-imag1336.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine leaked there and just needed a new O ring. From your picture it looks like there is a piece of the O ring sticking out.
Just remove the big nut between the hoses and they should both come out. I would replace both O rings while you have it apart. Sorry I don't know the size, I bought a rebuild kit before discovering that it was just these lines that were leaking. Measure the pipe and O ring thickness and find ones that fit. The R&R is pretty easy.

Edit: From looking at the picture longer it looks like the hold down plate is rusting away. Make sure that it is in good condition before replacing.

I got a couple O rings yesterday along with fluid from the Dealer. How hard is the plate to remove? I removed the nut and nothing budged, might be rust welded on for all I know. Is there a gasket behind the metal plate do you remember? I'm sure the plate is pretty corroded.

No gasket, the plate just holds down the flanges on the tubing.

I will attempt to remove it later on today and see what the issues are - thanks.
Don't want to invest in parts I don't need.

You can get that plate off by whacking it with a hammer and a flat blade screwdriver. Just rust holding it on.

If it's your hose leaking, GOOD LUCK finding the parts! No one carries them. I had to trudge through several junkyards before I found good hoses. Even then I took the whole rack and pinion. MUCH easier to replace the whole rack than to go effing with those hoses.

On the parts hunt now. Seems I only need the return line (corroded where it attaches attaches at the plate). The part no. is 1L2C-3F780-AF. Cannot find just a return line anywhere. I think I am going to try a Hayden or Four Seasons ps cooler.

Well, all fixed. Had to order a cooler to get the return line. But, found online slightly cheaper than the 195.00 price from the dealer. 145.00 lighter and 2 12 oz. bottles of Mercon and steers well again with no leaks.

My 2 aluminum lines are loose as a goose. How do I get access to this crazy thing? Remove the radiator? Front left tire?

Back