• Register Today It's free!

power steering leak!

Defcon x Zero

Reaction score
City, State
Smithtown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie 4x4
my power steering is leaking from right above the pitman arm.
Photo_090607_001.jpg

do i need to get a whole new unit? or can i just a get a new seal? or what..?any help greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem, and am curious to a solution. However I did switch to Valvoline High Mileage Power Steering Fluid with stop leak, and it has reduced the amount it leaks considerably.

I just posted the same question the other day and have come to the conclusion it is a job best left to a pro. You can get a kit to replace the seal only instead of the whole unit and that is the route i am going to take since it is working fine otherwise. Mine is not leaking at all now for 4 days since i put Lucas Oil brand of power steering fluid with stop leak in it for the 2nd time. Waiting to see what happens, if it quits leaking i guess problem solved for about $18.00 for 2 bottles.
Here is the thread and answers I got:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194446

If you have the average toolbox, then it might be easier to just replace the steering gearbox as everything then is a simple bolt on. Steering gear boxes typically go for $170-ish dollars -- which is probably the labor you'll pay for the rebuild.

All you need then is a flare wrench set (hovers around $20 at most stores) and a pitman arm puller (which you can rent at most auto store for free). That and no more than two quarts of steering fluid.

This is a quote from what someone told me about how easy it is LOL

bigge4685
Wannabe Elite Explorer
orlando florida
91 Mazda Navajo 4.0 4x4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tackled the problem like 4 years ago and it is a b#@ch i tried my self but no luck even with the puller, i even had a impact gun and still could not get the pitman arm off so i would just bring it to a shop it will be worth it.

Thats true, the pitman arm can be a pain to remove. But heating (from a torch) does wonders. Also, I believe yours will be pretty easy actually -- having been soaked in steering fluid for quite some time now. But just to help loosen it up, before you try to remove the arm, loosen the nut below it until it no longer contacts the arm, start the engine and rotate the steering wheel a dozen or so full left/right turns.

I replaced the seals in mine this year. The job is really not that bad. I bought the seal kit from Autozone and picked up a pitman arm puller under their loan-a-tool program.

Back