Power steering out

Dennis J.A.A.

Reaction score
City, State
Orfordville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Interceptor
2017 Explorer PIU
My bad! Haven't driven or ran the PIU since it came home mid Jan.
Today I started it up and found that the light came on for the battery and there was no power steering.
I put the charger on the battery after removing the negative cable and it is showing 84%. I still have it charging and will see what happens in an hour. If it looks like it's going up slowly then I'll leave it on for the rest of the night.
Can't understand WHY the power steering would have anything to do with the battery and why it would show low battery with 84%. Oh yeah, it also showed something to do with the steering. I am in hopes that removing the battery out of the system will reboot it. It's a shame; I have only put 100 miles from the time I got it off the shipper's truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These don’t seem to be the kind of vehicle that likes to sit around. If it’s the original battery it’s due for replacement. Your power steering is electric.

Can't understand WHY the power steering would have anything to do with the battery and why it would show low battery with 84%. Oh yeah, it also showed something to do with the steering. I am in hopes that removing the battery out of the system will reboot it. It's a shame; I have only put 100 miles from the time I got it off the shipper's truck.
The Explorer has EPAS, Electric Assisted Power Steering. So I'm guessing if the battery is dead, that electrical assist isn't there. ;)

Peter

The Explorer has EPAS, Electric Assisted Power Steering. So I'm guessing if the battery is dead, that electrical assist isn't there. ;)

Peter
Yep. No power, no power steering.

Yep. No power, no power steering.

Peter
So I charged the battery and it was 100% by 02:00 this morning.
I went out and check the battery at about 16:00 and it was at 80%.
The battery wasn't hooked up to the vehicle so no draining.
I purchased a battery that is for the Explorer PIU and it was $200.00 at AutoZone.
The battery that was in there must have been swapped before the sale they said it was NOT for this vehicle.
Anyway, I still have this issue:

IMG_1248.JPG IMG_1250.JPG IMG_1252.JPG

What’s the voltage at idle?replacing the battery didn’t necessarily fix the issue. Did you reset the module to tell it that it’s got a new battery?

What’s the voltage at idle?replacing the battery didn’t necessarily fix the issue. Did you reset the module to tell it that it’s got a new battery?
How do I do that? Is that just clearing the OBD?

How do I do that? Is that just clearing the OBD?
When a battery replacement takes place, the older manuals mentioned resetting the BMS and/or letting the vehicle sit undisturbed for a period of 8 hours. I no longer see these requirements in the 2016+ manuals. IDS or FORScan, I believe, could be used to reset the BMS.

Peter

When a battery replacement takes place, the older manuals mentioned resetting the BMS and/or letting the vehicle sit undisturbed for a period of 8 hours. I no longer see these requirements in the 2016+ manuals. IDS or FORScan, I believe, could be used to reset the BMS.

Peter
OK Well, I'll try this afternoon then! Thanks
I have the 2017 PIU

OK Well, I'll try this afternoon then! Thanks
I have the 2017 PIU
Yes, I see that in the margin. FYI, I also checked the 2017 PIU manual.

Peter

Yes, I see that in the margin. FYI, I also checked the 2017 PIU manual.

Peter
I don't think it has that requirement anymore.

Does your alternator work properly? It says "Charging System Service Now," nothing about the battery.

I don't think it has that requirement anymore.

Does your alternator work properly? It says "Charging System Service Now," nothing about the battery.
Never had a problem before.
I'll be able to see what is going on this afternoon

2017 Explorer PIU
My bad! Haven't driven or ran the PIU since it came home mid Jan.
Today I started it up and found that the light came on for the battery and there was no power steering.
I put the charger on the battery after removing the negative cable and it is showing 84%. I still have it charging and will see what happens in an hour. If it looks like it's going up slowly then I'll leave it on for the rest of the night.
nvm, didn't read all previous posts.

Ever get this sorted?
NO BUT... I downloaded the programs that was on the plug information card and inadvertently did NOT download FORScan but TouchScan & OBDWiz. Now that I have the correct software things I am reading make sense! Yegadz! Getting old sure isn't easy!

Back