Power steering pressure hose leak... Replace O-ring? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power steering pressure hose leak... Replace O-ring?

4x4junkie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
So.Calif.(San Fernando Valley)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Ranger, '90 Bronco II
My service manual tells me that the swivel fitting at the steering pump outlet is a non-serviceable assembly... Has anyone had luck getting one of these apart to replace just the O-ring? (the diagram shows what looks like an inaccessible snap ring inside that holds the swivel part of it together) Or is a whole new pressure hose pretty much the only practical option?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whole new pressure hose. They don't even sell the nylon/teflon washer on the nut separately. I just replaced both hoses and the pump on mine today. The new pressure hose is much tighter in the o-ring area and has very little play compared to the old one. Be sure to torque it right, 10-20 ft lbs. You can use a crows foot on a torque wrench, just make sure to use it at a 90 degree angle to the wrench otherwise you change angles and mess with the actual torque value.

Yeah I was referring to the rubber O-ring that's inside of the swivel part. Sounds like either way then I'm stuck having to get a new hose as I'd still have to deal with the teflon one by taking the main fitting off the pump.

Alright, appreciate the response.

Right, I don't see a way to disassemble it without serious crimp tools. A new hose isn't that terribly expensive and you don't have to second-guess the crimps and rubber hose in it.

I asked the same thing at the parts store, it's just the way it's designed, replacement only.

Well, figured I'd post an update...

Turns out there's a larger O-ring that goes up against the reservoir around the pump's output fitting (the large 24mm nut) which is where it was leaking, so looks like I lucked out it wasn't the swivel part on the hose after all. A new 20mm x 3mm O-ring from my deluxe Harbor Freight assortment, a few wraps of Teflon tape to reseal the hose's fitting, and so far so good.

...Instead of teflon tape, a better item to use is thread sealant with ptfe..;)

..I had the same issue a few years back and would have replied but wasout of town when you posted..:(

No prob.

After looking at how the original teflon washer gets crushed almost into nothingness, I figured teflon tape should do about the same. After driving it around for a couple hours today running some errands, everything has remained dry around the fitting, so hopefully it's good for now. I'll keep the thread sealant in mind though should this issue decide to repeat itself.

Thanks

Back