Power Steering Problem... Anyone else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Problem... Anyone else?

adrnlnrush

Reaction score
City, State
Winter Garden, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Adrenalin
When I first got the STA I noticed that the power steering seemed to be a bit stiff, I discounted it to being a trait of the vehicle.

Lately though it has been getting worse when sitting still the pump feels really weak and hums with the slightest pressure from side to side. At times when I'm manuvering at low speeds it's like the steering goes completely out and I mean it's like turning an old 1970 F100.

I'm planning on taking it to the dealer in the next week or so to be checked out over all but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Sounds like a failing pump.

When I first got the STA I noticed that the power steering seemed to be a bit stiff, I discounted it to being a trait of the vehicle.

Lately though it has been getting worse when sitting still the pump feels really weak and hums with the slightest pressure from side to side. At times when I'm manuvering at low speeds it's like the steering goes completely out and I mean it's like turning an old 1970 F100.

I'm planning on taking it to the dealer in the next week or so to be checked out over all but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Sometimes it's the little stuff that's to blame... Any chance the air pressure in your front tires is maybe a tad low? With wides tires, this can make steering effort seem harder than it needs be... Just a thought.

Geez... if power steering pumps and other stuff are falling of these Fords left right and center, maybe I'll have to go back to Honda for a Ridgeline... But I'd really rather continue to enjoy my white STA... Keep us posted on your PS issue and how it gets worked out.

Back