• Register Today It's free!

power steering pump rebuild

malcolm2

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mountaineer, V8, AWD
2001 AWD Mountaineer, 5.0 liter engine. I am trying to save a few $ and install a seal kit in the PS pump. How in the hell do you get into the pump housing?

There is a large round 2" dia. plate that is held in place with a tight spring clip. I cannot get anything under the clip to lift it out. see the photo. I am pointing to the clip with a coffee straw.

Is there a trick? It is tuff to search, cause most of the PS results talk about removing the pump or pulley. I need to take the pump apart. Same problem on YouTube.

gallery_24520_405_23362.jpg

Thanks/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Press in on the plate. The lock ring went in, so the plate must flex in enough to get the ring out. Hook under the end with a pick. Once you get it started, it should peel right out. The D-shape on the plate suggests that it needs to be turned for some reason.

On the side of the pump there may be a hole you can hammer a punch into. See pic, it is the reman part # for your vehicle. If you can it might help to (rotate) force either end of the clip near the hole (if there is one), have it in a vice or a helper holding it, and a screwdriver to catch the end after the punch gets it clear of the groove.

ZohwaoZ.jpg

Press in on the plate. The lock ring went in, so the plate must flex in enough to get the ring out. Hook under the end with a pick. Once you get it started, it should peel right out. The D-shape on the plate suggests that it needs to be turned for some reason.

gallery_24520_405_86653.jpg

looks like you are both correct. I used a 2-jaw gear puller to put some pressure on the "D" shape. That helped me rotate the clip so an end was at the hole and took pressure off of the clip. Then I used a punch to get the clip out.

did the same in order to get the plate low enough to get the clip back in.

job is done,

thanks to all :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's an old trick that works in some circumstances. If you have an accessible spot, you can drill a hole like the one in the picture to allow you to insert a punch and push the clip ring out. (As long as you don't miss with the hole.) It's a good thing to file away in your bag of tricks that you will need to use someday (again).

Back