• Register Today It's free!

power steering pump replacement

kware1

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Hi all. Anybody have anything on power steering replacement for a 4.6 V8? The year is 2002. Specifically I need to know if I can get it out without removing the pulley. (Replacing it with a used one that has the pulley on it) secondly, is there a trick to getting to the line which is right behind the pulley? Can't see an easy to take that nut off. Other than that, some general direction will help. Thanks in advance.

hi did you end up getting any info on it i am having the same problem

you can take it off with the pulley still on. it will however be a pain in the butt. the bottom bolt 10mm can be reached by sticking the wrench threw the slot in the pulley. but you only get like 1/8 to 1/4 a turn at a time. unless u have a nice small ratcheting wrench. as for the line I didn't remove my pump,but it looks like the best way would be rite @ the cooler it has that's located like right under the harmonic balancer.

Pump replaced

I changed my PS pump on my 04 v8 on Sunday. Let me tell you it was a pain in the butt. The bolt behind the high pressure line is a challenge. It took me most of the day and was mad I ever started the job.
I was sick and tired of the whining so I decided to change it.
Well after changing it I think it was quiter but not convinced. I removed the idler pulley and changed the bearing and the noise was still there. I then removed the tensioner and replaced the bearing and the problem was solved.
If you attempt to change the pump beware it's not as easy as it looks.
The tensioner bearing sounds exactly like a pump whine.

Back