Power Steering Pump Reservoir Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Pump Reservoir Questions

Kamaaina

Reaction score
City, State
Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 2wd
Hi all, a couple of questions here for my '96 4.0 OHV XLT: 1] What actually holds the power steering pump reservoir onto the pump assembly? 2] Can the reservoir be changed without removing the pump itself from the vehicle? Need to change or repair the reservoir as the return nipple has a crack & is leaking fluid. Thanks all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a separate item:

$_57.jpg

$_57.jpg

My reservoir is part of the pump assembly and is not a remote reservoir. I don't see any fasteners holding the plastic reservoir onto the pump, the only penetration I see is the high pressure outlet fitting coming out the side. Just wondering if I remove that fitting will the reservoir slide off of the o-ring seal. I guess only one way to find out.....try it!

If its like the 94, with a slip on reservoir, you remove the pressure line fitting. Then you can wiggle the reservoir off the back of the pump. Seal kits are cheap, but I have never had any luck with them.

Thanks BKennedy. I got the reservoir off w/o removing the pump, wasn't that difficult. Replaced the big o-ring on the pump body and two o-rings on the high pressure outlet fitting & slid the reservoir on carefully. Before installing the reservoir I J-B welded two 3/4" neodymium magnets to the inside of the reservoir body to catch any metal debris floating around. Replaced the return rubber hose & also installed a filter on it. So far no leaks.

Back