Power steering shuddering when turning wheel at stand still | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power steering shuddering when turning wheel at stand still

cmayna

Reaction score
City, State
Menlo Park, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB & 97 Sport
With your guys help, I just installed a new serp belt and tension pulley on my sons 97 sport. Now if I turn the steering wheel either at stand still with engine on or at a crawl, the front wheels shudder while turning but it then stops when I stop turning the steering wheel.

Belt is installed correctly and the engine is turning as normal as I can see. Is this shuddering an isolated issue? My son did drive the car home 4-5 miles with the belt busted. Could he have caused damage to the PS valve?

Children.......so expensive to maintain.

There may be air in the system, try turning the steering wheel several times from right to left and back again. Check the level in the power steering reservoir.

NHALE623,
Thanks for the prompt tip. It worked. Sat in a very smooth parking lot and cranked the wheels left to right, back and fourth 4-5 times. Suddenly it smoothed out like new.

I also noticed that the fluid level of the brake system was a little over the full mark. Now it reads full (or max).

Again, thanks. Now I can pull the engine out of my 68 fastback tomorrow.

Craig

Back