• Register Today It's free!

power steering whine

big_hoovie

Reaction score
City, State
Laconia, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
my powersteering pump has a bit of whine to it, irregardless of wether I'm moving the wheel or not. I've made sure that the reservoir is filled properly(although it was with power steering fluid, rather than ATF, but I only recently learned about that). Is it likely that the pump is on it's way out, or could there be another solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford power steering pumps are notorious for whining. Is it leaking? is the fluid looking dark? none of the above? then its probably going to last a little while longer then you think.

Unfortunately once a pump begins to whine there is no way to offset it. Bleeding the fluid wont help, it will only give you the placebo effect.

These things either work or they don’t. Just make sure your pump has fluid in it. If air gets in then your power steering goes out... you will know instantly when it goes out, trust me.

Pumps are rather cheap; Cardone is the brand I used from NAPA. $75 I believe? I don’t know you can get some for $30 bucks if you find the right part.

The thing is, when you bleed a new pump for the first time, that determines if it whines for the rest of its life or not. Skimp on bleeding the pump the first time and suffer the whine for the rest of its life.

If you end up swapping the pump out, get the ford tool for removing the pully. I didn't but wish I had. Ended up having it swapped out when I sent my 91 in to the dealer for an electrical gremlin.

well, I do know there is a bit of a leak, but that isn't the pump, it's the hose leading from the bottom of it. The clamp(which is the squeeze knid, not the screw kind) keeps sliding down, so it's about .5 -.75" from where it should be, causing a small drip(and subsequently I keep having to add fluid)

speaking of fluid, like I mentioned in my previous post, I've been using power steering fluid. is this bad for the pump, or is it ok to continue until I can swap all the fluids out?

big_hoovie said:
well, I do know there is a bit of a leak, but that isn't the pump, it's the hose leading from the bottom of it. The clamp(which is the squeeze knid, not the screw kind) keeps sliding down, so it's about .5 -.75" from where it should be, causing a small drip(and subsequently I keep having to add fluid)

speaking of fluid, like I mentioned in my previous post, I've been using power steering fluid. is this bad for the pump, or is it ok to continue until I can swap all the fluids out?

From what i understand power steering fluid is a more basic form of ATF. ATF is what it calls for, but it shouldnt hurt it. (I read a thread on here where some kids used Corn Syrup in the power steering pump and it never failed.)

That leak you are noticing is from the return line. You can try replacing just the clamp, that might work. The whole line is like $20 bucks from NAPA. if you are going to replace that, you need to aleast replace the O-Ring around the pressure line also, that usually is first to leak over the return line. After you replace the line you must flush the system...

Flush the system by disconnecting the return line, and putting in a rubber plug where the return line is supposed connect on the pump. Have the front wheels jacked up in the air, and crank a full turn from left to right. Do this until fresh fluid squirts out the disconnected return line. Repeat this with the car running for only 15 seconds. Longer then 15 seconds can result in damage to the pump.

The reason why power steering pumps fail is because of a leak that goes unfixed. Otherwise they last a good while, they just might be noisey.

power steering fluied and atf are the same thay just use diffrent types of die to tell them a part

The 1st generation explorers use Type F transmission fluid in th epower steering.

My pump developed a major leak last fall which turned out to be the bearing. bought a rebuilt pump at Autozone for about $48 (with trade-in). Borrow the special tool kit for removing and installing the pulley; its an impossibel job without it.

Bob

Older Ford Trucks tend to have loud Power Steering. Period.

Yeah mine whines pretty loud and it's all fine otherwise. Just loud.

well, as long as I know that it isn't bad, I'm OK with that. ;)

Back