• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering

mgmgmg

Reaction score
City, State
Plymouth, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 LTD '10 LTD V8
Took the winter beater out of storage and the power steering seems kinda tight! What i mean: taking turns the wheel doesnt want to come back, i have to asst it. God i hope im explaining ok? Maybe im so used to driving my 2010 X its my imagination..... any ideas?

Thank you

What I checked

1. Belt has No cracks
2. No leaks
3. No loud sound coming from ps pump
4. I always grease the steering linkages.
5. Fluid level ok.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might wanna consider flushing the ps fluid since it's easy, cheap and in general often neglected.

Usually the adjusting screw/bolt/nut on the gearbox will cause this if you adjusted it. If not, maybe run it a bit and see if it loosens up. Definitely get some new fluid in there, if nothing else with a turkey baster.

I just use power steering fluid. If there are doubts about compatibility, read the label on the back of the bottle. If it's gotten colder there and it sat a bit, it just might need to loosen up some. Bit yeah, I agree with replacing the fluid. :)

adjusting screw/bolt/nut on the gearbox will cause.....Where is this located? I did not know of this? I have not touched it....

thank you

I would use Type F ATF. That's what the manual calls for. I have Dex/Merc in mine and it whines more than I would like. I think Type F is coarser and not as slippery.

If you didn't mess with the adjusting nut on the gearbox, save that as a final way to adjust, try everything else first. But, it's right on the top. There's a nut that tightens a screw. The screw is what tightens/loosens the gear and the nut is what holds the screw in place. Only turn the screw 1/8" of a turn or so at once. Be sure to hold it in place while you tighten/loosen the nut.

I had this exact problem. The wheel felt stiff and didn't want to straighten out coming out of a turn. It was one of the front u-joints going bad and causing stiffness. Was a reasonably cheap fix (~ $150 including labour).

DO NOT muck about with the adjusting screw on the gear box -- you are more likely to exacerbate the problem unless you are 100% certain it is the gear box.

I had this exact problem. The wheel felt stiff and didn't want to straighten out coming out of a turn. It was one of the front u-joints going bad and causing stiffness. Was a reasonably cheap fix (~ $150 including labour).

DO NOT muck about with the adjusting screw on the gear box -- you are more likely to exacerbate the problem unless you are 100% certain it is the gear box.

Correct me if im wrong those u-joints dont spin unless your in 4x4 drive?

I replaced about 1 pint worth of Type F and its much better.....How much does it hold?

You're right that the U-Joints don't rotate but they still flex/bend when you turn the wheel. Unless they're lubricated or spun periodically, the part of the U-Joint that doesn't move can just seize up with rust. Like all lubricated things, they need to move & distribute the lube every so often.

Back