• Register Today It's free!

Power Upgrades

wicked weasel

Reaction score
City, State
Central, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT V8
I have an 03 Explorer XLT with the 4.6L V8.

I just started to use it to tow my vette to some road racing events and although it seems to be ok with towing I would like to make some changes to the engine to get more power.

I see there is an air filter upgrade which seems like a no brainer, but I was wondering if there was something else.

Maybe a S/C from Paxton to give it some more HP and TQ. Funny I know everything about my vette and nothing about the Explorer.

any suggestions would be appreicated.

thanks

wicked weasel said:
I have an 03 Explorer XLT with the 4.7L V8.

Well heck dude, your already on your way with the engine swap! ;)

Do a search for "supercharger" in the modified 02-05 explorer section and you should get a lot of hits.

Well, AED(Allen Engine Design) is the only bolt-on SC available so far. You can get an intake, headers and exhaust. Also, an SCT XCalibrator 2 would do wonders for you when towing.

Also, you have the 4.6 V8. This is the same motor as the '02-'04 Mustang GT. There are many upgrades you could do besides just using an SC to add power.

NaplesBill said:
Well, AED(Allen Engine Design) is the only bolt-on SC available so far. You can get an intake, headers and exhaust. Also, an SCT XCalibrator 2 would do wonders for you when towing.

Also, you have the 4.6 V8. This is the same motor as the '02-'04 Mustang GT. There are many upgrades you could do besides just using an SC to add power.

you are correct it is a 4.6 V8. I missed the 6 and never looked again.

I will look into your suggestions thanks....

Back