• Register Today It's free!

Power window 96

John Quinn

Reaction score
City, State
Culleoka, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited V8
When I bought my 96 Explorer a few months back, there was an existing issue with the drivers side window. Switch works, motor turns, but makes a "bumping" noise while running and does not stop turning when the window reaches the top. My mechanic was running a diagnostic for an unrelated problem and it happened to show a "passenger window relay" fault, but nothing on the driver's window or relay. The passenger window was fine until about a month ago. Now the motor on that side doesn't stop turning when the window reaches the top, with the same "budda-budda" noise.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's probably the plastic pucks in the motor gear housing. They're sacrificial, meant to shear away to save the motor and drivetrain if the stress is too great, but being plastic and given time, they fail.

Being careful not to hold the widow-up switch for long after they're completely closed can help prolong their life some, as can making sure the window track is lubed.

Dorman makes a repair kit. Most people just need the pucks but they also sell one with the gear, although I am not certain whether the 2nd link is the right gear-kit for ours. There is a review of someone that used it for a '93 Explorer.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-74410-Window-Regulator-Gear/dp/B000CO96SG

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-747-409-Window-Select-Models/dp/B0031H0H5M

The pucks are also available at Rock Auto and many auto parts stores.
Dorman 74410 - Google Search

Some people have also had some success taking raw materials, a piece of bolt or plastic dowel and machining to the right size, but it seems like too much of an experiment and time spent when the $8 pucks kit exists.

I just went through the same problem a month or two ago. As J_C mentioned, it is three little pucks in the gear drive of the motor. I went onto RockAuto and bought the replacement gear (. Recommend NOT replacing entire motor.) On RockAuto the gear is listed under "interior". Replacing the gear is not hard. Put window almost all the way up (maybe an inch gap) and tape it. Drill rivets holding window track onto window. Unplug motor, remove window track and slide off window rollers. Depending on how your motor is mounted you may need to drill out rivets holding motor to door. You will need to be very careful because window mechanism may be under spring tension.

" Do not remove a motor from an unlocked regulator with an energized spring. Clamp or secure by drilling a hole through the regulator gear and frame. Then install a bolt, nut and washers to lock the regulator and prevent sudden release."

Unbolt or unscrew motor from mechanism. There is a C clip holding gear onto motor shaft. Clean all little bits of old pucks out if you can first, apply grease and reinstall.

Back