How to: - Power Window Bushing Replacement with Pics | Page 9 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

How to: Power Window Bushing Replacement with Pics

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
The passenger window on my '93 just broke yesterday. Guess what I'm doing this weekend???

I repaired the driver's side several years ago. I bought the kit from Napa - it included a new gear and bushings.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jch5185

Reaction score
City, State
Lilburn, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
This is exactly what I wanted to do. I did not want to use cables in the rear. Just one question...Where did you order the parts from? The track and Motor Assembly? Thank you so much for helping me, Tbars4!!

Benesar

Reaction score
City, State
Provo, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
My rear driver side power window is broken. Window cannot be raised manually or electronically. It hits a spot and goes "clunk" and will not go up any further beyond this point when raised manually. I cannot see what it is running into nor can I feel the obstruction. How do I get the window into the raised position so I can secure it shut forever? My E-Mail is: [email protected] Doug

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

finnfisher

Reaction score
My 94 driver rear failed a year ago and this fix solution was awsome. My pass rear failed this weekend. This second time it only took me a half hour from start to finish. Thanks for the great info!:D

cyrix9445

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer XLT
I replaced my drivers window bushings yesterday, very easy fix took about 15 min

KSE_rules

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Limited v8, 4x4 Gold
Ok guys, I didn't read this in here, so I'm just gonna ask about it. Both my front window motors stopped working so I went to change the plugs/bushings. I went and took my drivers window motor off. I took off the top cover, cleaned that out. Then I pulled the other part of the motor off, that has the big screw that turns the gear. Anyways, when I did that two springs came out, and the brush motors had moved around. I'm pretty sure I put the brush motors back in the right place. But I have no idea about those two springs. It seemed to me that they had come from the top of that screw that turns the gears. But I honestly have no idea why they would be there. Any help would be awesome.

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
I avoided that by not touching that top cover thing. I took off the dust shield, re-greased the plastic gear and such and called it a day.

seth247

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4X4
Those springs go behind the brushes and hold them against the motor contacts.

Note for future readers: there is no real use for removing the bottom portion if the motor. The part with the brushes. That part is sealed from the part with the worn gear so no plastic bits can get in there. And if removing the round housing cover and replacing the bushings doesn't fix your problem then there us not much you can do but buy a new motor. Removing the motor housing will just frustrate you.

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Even though this is the '91-94 forum, it is a great guide and I wanted to add some info applicable to my '98 4 door Explorer. When drilling out the hole to access the third power window motor bolt on the rear doors, drilling a 1/2" hole at the dimple is no longer centered over the bolt head. The hole needs to be drilled about 5mm diagonally up and towards the front of the door. This is very near where the metal creases, it may be easier to first drill a small starter hole or punch a new dimple, then come back and enlarge it.

MrQ

Smokey the clutch is; Missed shift you did
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
I'm doing this today. Unfortunately the price has gone up on those bushings. AZ had them for $8 apiece and Advanced had them for $9. Pretty expensive for some simple bushings, but it still beats the cost a of replacing the motor.

jb84

Reaction score
City, State
Cullman Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie B.
I have had to do this with both windows on my 93 eddie B and you dont have to take the speaker out you can just come at it from the other side of the door and take the whole track out it is much eaisier imo.

MrQ

Smokey the clutch is; Missed shift you did
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
Well I just finished replacing the driver rear. Man was it bad. I first open up the gear housing and all I find is a few pieces of bushing. Nothing like I expected. Then I looked inside the worm gear housing. Big gobs of grease and bushing was shoved into every crick and cranny.

To get it clean I had to pull the motor. Yes those bushings are a pain, but they weren't my real problem. After the motor was reassembled and tested, it wouldn't run. I couldn't figure it out. I took that thing apart 4 or 5 times trying to understand. :scratch:

Then I tried without the motor housing screws and it ran like a scalded cat. It finally dawned on me that the screws were the issue. Apparently if the screws are too tight the the lack of clearance in the housing won't allow the motor to run. Way to go Ford. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow, I'll tackle the other side. BTW, if your back windows will go down, but not up, check the regulator. In the back its two cables. The cables enter the regulator housing with two springs, one on each cable. The spring on the bottom will bind the regulator and the motor. Get some forceps or wire cutters and grab one of the bottom coils and pull it below the holder. This releases the tension when the window goes up.

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Well I just finished replacing the driver rear. Man was it bad. I first open up the gear housing and all I find is a few pieces of bushing. Nothing like I expected. Then I looked inside the worm gear housing. Big gobs of grease and bushing was shoved into every crick and cranny.

To get it clean I had to pull the motor. Yes those bushings are a pain, but they weren't my real problem. After the motor was reassembled and tested, it wouldn't run. I couldn't figure it out. I took that thing apart 4 or 5 times trying to understand. :scratch:

Then I tried without the motor housing screws and it ran like a scalded cat. It finally dawned on me that the screws were the issue. Apparently if the screws are too tight the the lack of clearance in the housing won't allow the motor to run. Way to go Ford. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow, I'll tackle the other side. BTW, if your back windows will go down, but not up, check the regulator. In the back its two cables. The cables enter the regulator housing with two springs, one on each cable. The spring on the bottom will bind the regulator and the motor. Get some forceps or wire cutters and grab one of the bottom coils and pull it below the holder. This releases the tension when the window goes up.
:thumbsup:

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
I know this post is old. but does anyone have the Part number of the HELP rebuild kit?

jebexploder

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
92, XLT
I got mine at Advance Auto, actually I got none set at Autop Zone b/c AA didn't have four sets on the rack. The guys at desk know what you need.
Its in the help section, I don't remember the number but I believe it was listed in one of the posts , sorry

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

atownviperman

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 EB
Ok well I screwed up replaced my bushings but also removed the top side as well in order to "clean out gunk" which of course did not exist have a 93 X front driver window now the motor will not turn. It gets hot like there is current going through but just holds. Please Help.