How to: - 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 1992 Power Window Bushing Replacement

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Found this post from 85Dave and he saved me a ton of money. Having my adult beverage as I type right now. I completed this for three windows in my 1994 Explorer in about 5 hours. Order the help packs for the nylon bushings on Amazon for about $8.00 a piece as well as ordered a package of the black clips to replace the door panels because I knew I was missing a few. I was a bit **** in cleaning out the housing where the worm gear is located on the motor. Everyone of them was totally full of broken bushings. I took pictures but not sure how to load them. All was well, at least I thought as I took the first motor apart to clean out the debris. Getting it back together was a pain and time consuming. I must have put the brushes in backwards or connected a wire up backwards because this right rear window now works opposite from the controls. I'll go in another time to reverse some wires to see if that will work. anyway at least I have windows that work with out assisting them by hand. It has been a few years this way. Yes, I'm a cheap *******!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread is still helping!

Ordered a regulator for the driver's door of my '96 XLT, but I'm going to do the bushings as well anyway. Too cheap not to do. I found a remanufactured regulator on Amazon for about $30, and Autozone still carries that Dorman Help kit for the bushings for around $7. Off to save some money, and thanks to Dave and everyone else who contributed!

Update!

The Dorman part saved the day! If anyone has driven this far down the thread, the bushings went in very easily without modifications using a bench vice as a press. Just go very slowly and make sure everything is aligned as you go. If you have a drill press, you could do the same thing.

My window works again, just in time for the south Louisiana heat, with no A/C! Thanks for the help!

If you want to save $$$ see my post # 252.

Just trying to pay back some of the excellent information I've gotten from this forum. :chug:

Dave; Just finsihed the repair on my 93 Navajo. Thank you for the details and pictures. $8.08 at Advance and the Drivers window works great.

Notes on mine; My Mazda has 3 open holes for the window motor so no divot, or drilling was needed. Very happy for that.
Window motor has 1 screw to release the black cover. The center gear has a tiny c-clip you can barely see that needs to be removed in order to pop the gear off the motor. I had to use my tiny screwdriver kit that came with mini pointed tips to open the c-clip. You can barely see the c-clip and the 2 release holes are the size of a pin point.
* To get my 3 new "HELP" hard rubber pieces installed, rather than cut into them I first placed them all on the gear ( not in to the motor housing) . Then carefully placed the gear with 3 pieces back into the center of the motor. I wedged them inside the motor housing with a flat head screwdiver, then used hammer to tap the center gear back in place. Fit like a glove. A tight mf'r glove. Should be good for another 20 years. Thanks for post.

Austin

Thanks for the post. I need to do the rear, window is slipping.
I did front ones on my last explorer, Sure appreciate all the help here.

Other than inserting the gear w/bushings back into the motor, what did you find to be the biggest challenge of this job? Thanks so much for posting and sharing!

The annoying thing was just having to drill through the door to get to one of the screws. Other than that it is a relatively simple task.

The power windows on my 92 quit going up and down. The motor would make noise, but the window wouldn't move. There are 3 plastic bushings inside the gear drive of the power window motor that crumble. This is my step-by-step replacement with pics.

First, open the door. On my 92, it was the left rear.
door.jpg
Thank you Dave, I replaced the 3 plastic plugs on my drivers side, back window, and it worked. Your step by step directions made it so much easier. I am doing the other back window next. Thanks again!

Time to do my rear power windows, but alas, mine ar e the cable type. I vaguely recall that there is a swap out using the later explorer power window parts in place of the cable type, and that someone was making the parts available as a package. But I cannot find that. Anyone able to assist?

Time to do my rear power windows, but alas, mine ar e the cable type. I vaguely recall that there is a swap out using the later explorer power window parts in place of the cable type, and that someone was making the parts available as a package. But I cannot find that. Anyone able to assist?

Salvage yard search for 95-01 rear doors. Remove everything except the glass.

You will need a cordless drill, some good bits to drill out the rivets and possibly extra battery or bits. Small set of sockets or wrenches (whichever you prefer).

What you need new is some nuts and bolts not more than 1/4" long (if I remember correctly), and lithium grease or your personal favorite to grease up all the tracks (cause it makes sense to do it while you have access to them). Oh and a good day to mess with it all, maybe two if you take your time like I did.

In previous threads it appeared someone was selling just the part for about $40. Is he still around and/or are just the parts available somewhere?

Back