Power Window Bushing Replacement with Pics | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Power Window Bushing Replacement with Pics

ma96782

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4dr
Aireq,

Get in there and see if the window track is binding.........or if it's the motor......take it apart look inside to see if it's the plastic bearings. As for a new motor (or if it's brushes).........that's up to you.

Aloha, Mark

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

aireq

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
How would I know if the window track is binding? Would something have to break for this to happen? If not how do I fix it if that's what's causing the problem?

Eric

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
I love how ford parts just break out of the blue. I drove 3K+ miles in 1 week & I get into my X today & my drivers window is click click click as the window goes down. Worked fine yesterday as well :( Guess I'll use this thread.

ma96782

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4dr

ma96782

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4dr
The, "best way," I've found for testing an elec. window motor........is to try a direct connection w/ 12v power.........it should operate both ways (up/down) 100% of the time, to be good............sometimes you have to reverse the elec. current (to get it going the other way).

Aloha, Mark

ma96782

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4dr
Aireq said,

How would I know if the window track is binding? Would something have to break for this to happen? If not how do I fix it if that's what's causing the problem?

When you open up the door panel and look inside.............look at what you got...............try to operate the motor. If you see the glass hang up, as it's traveling...........or you see it, out of the track................or if you see loose mounting bolts/broken bolts/rivits, throwing the geometry out of wack.

Those are some common "visible" problem areas.

Aloha, Mark

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed

ck1938

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Jason94sport said:
Could I use these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...emQQcategoryZ33706QQihZ007QQitemZ170021292804
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-9...3QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33706QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The parts stores by me don't have these bushings in stock.
Should I replace the gear or just the bushings?

They'll work, but 3 to 4 times more than you'll pay at the auto store. and $27.95 shipping for a package that weighs an ounce is obscene. Talk to your store and see if they can order them for you. I did 2 windows for under $20 yesterday.

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
They won't. It's not an ordable part they say. It's on the list for the next store wide inventory they order. They won't order just for me. They said it may be about a month.
Where you get 27.95 shipping? 1 is $2 & 1 is 1.50.
I think the prices are fine. The cheaper ones is for all 4 doors & the other is for 2 doors.

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
Those Dorman ones don't fit the front? correct? You have to cut some of it away? & with shipping it's $11.83 for only 1 door.

ma96782

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4dr
Sorry, Jason, I haven't tried them..............I only mention them for folks who want to pick up a set (instead of 4 sets).

And, I'd buy mail order only IF I couldn't find them locally (save Postage).............or, IF I were to buy some other parts that when combined would make economic sense.

That being said............I wonder IF the eBay stuff, aren't re-packaged Dorman's products. You know some eBay sellers.......(I'm not saying it's happening here) might be just, "trying to take advantage," of folks who just don't know.

Aloha, Mark

agzaretzka

Elite - G-d Bless!
Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB
Jason94sport said:
Those Dorman ones don't fit the front? correct? You have to cut some of it away? & with shipping it's $11.83 for only 1 door.
Fit my 91 driver's door motor perfectly.

Gatorblazer

Reaction score
City, State
Moody, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer, 09 Mazda 5
They fit mine too. Just had to grease and push a little

91Expgeek

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Explorer
MAN I love this forum! Great article and thank you for taking time to take/post the pictures! -=dave=- :thumbsup:

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
I just replaced the motor. Had to take it out anyway & I got a deal on the Ford part. Not the cheapest way but it worked for me.

adam45356

Reaction score
City, State
Piqua,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991,1992 EB's and 94 LTD
thanks that saved me so much money

ck1938

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Jason94sport said:
They won't. It's not an ordable part they say. It's on the list for the next store wide inventory they order. They won't order just for me. They said it may be about a month.
Where you get 27.95 shipping? 1 is $2 & 1 is 1.50.
I think the prices are fine. The cheaper ones is for all 4 doors & the other is for 2 doors.

Sorry, I need to read more carefully. I misread and thought the buy it now price was the shipping cost. I'll shut up now.

adam45356

Reaction score
City, State
Piqua,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991,1992 EB's and 94 LTD
bushings are 7.99 in my town at autozone, once again thanks that was a asome write up

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jshack0713

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
Mine is different

I need to repair one rear and both front window drives on my '94 EB. With detailed pics and bushings in hand I opened up the rear door, drilled the hole for the 3rd screw and found a completely different arrangement. The motor appears to have a worm drive with cables attached at both ends and no obvious way to disconnect. The arrangement as shown in the previos entry would have been a cinch. Any suggestions?