Power Window Bushing Replacement | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Bushing Replacement

On my '93 fronts, I didn't notice the dimples as in the back doors. I just started to drill out the rivets (3 total I believe) but had to stop because my bit was dull. Am I doing it right?

DON'T drill out the rivets ! if you are only taking out the window motor, you only have to drill out the dimple like in the page 1 photos. the front door dimples are hidden by the speaker box/shell.

if you're trying to take out the whole window mechanism, then the pop rivets have to be drilled. first take a pin punch and hammer; couple of swift licks will drive the steel centers of the rivets out, then drilling is a breeze. don't forget to 'fish' out the steel pins from the bottom coor cavity; they make an annoying noise if left to roll around. :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok thanks. I'll go take a look again. I swear I didn't see them. I have the speakers out right now.

thanks for the dyi, but i cant seem to find bushings that will fit the motor, i tried the ones u suggested, but i had no way to shave them down. where should i try? i have a 93 explorer. thanks

I also have a '93 and the bushings I used were from Autozone in the 'Help' section. They fit perfectly. I used the ones that were suggested in this thread. It will be a tight fight but they do fit. The fronts were alot tighter than the rear. Maybe put a little grease on the bushings.

I had a bunch of Delrin (hi-tech plastic) end cuts. chucked them up in the lathe and made a bunch of bushings for Ford window motors. cut them about
.030 undersized. they fit and work perfectly.

in years past. I've taken a used timing belt and cut a piece to put in the gears of the motor assembly. might have just gotten lucky with the fit,,,used a Pinto belt.

disclaimer: I spent my "formative" years in a wrecking yard...lol :eek:

oh boy

When I was putting everything back together the "female" gear assembly came apart. Apparently there is a pulley inside. It now looks like whatever cable that is on is no longer under tension and I don't know how to put it back together right, how many turns of the cable to put on the pulley, etc.

Can anyone help with this or direct me to a thread that will? I don't know how to put this back together and my repair book doesn't seem to have that in there. Thanks.

i think im going to use those hex nuts instead of the bearings, someone else suggested it in this thread so i hope it works, the "help" bearings didnt fit at all, i tried everything, and i had no way to cut them down. if anyone knows where i could find the bearings that fit online or something it would help alot, thanks

hey how do u fix the front door motors cuz i took them out and i couldnt get the gears to come out to put in the hex nuts, so how do you take the gear out of the window motor?

I think the front motors have a snap ring that will have to be removed to pull the gear out for repairs...

what is that? i took the motors out of the doors already, and i figure that they can just screw back in or something right? or is there something im not doing right?

a really good picture of the gear with the "circlip' aka snap ring is shown on post #9, this thread...

it's mentioned a few pictures down from there.

um, that doesnt help. i need to know how to reinstall the motors into the doors, the front ones.thanks

Well I just finished my back passenger side, and front passenger side window bushing, the price for 3 bushings in a blister pack was 7.99 at autozone I had to goto 2 different stores.

With that being said, I have a 92 X, there's also a dimple on the front door's you need to drill out, everything is exactly the same, except on my front door, it had actual bolts instead of the square bolts. I didn't shave any of the bushings down at all, they were snug, but they fit just fine. Save yourself the trouble of running around, I noticed someone posted about using hex nuts, I think it would work just fine, the bushings dont move, they hold the gear in place. Any questions feel free to ask me :)

um, that doesnt help. i need to know how to reinstall the motors into the doors, the front ones.thanks

I assume, once you had the new bushings in, you checked to make sure they worked by hitting the switch a few times? if so, you've turned the gear on the motor, and not on the inside of door (what actually controls the window regulator), what I did was, lined up one of the holes, put the bolt in a few turns, and then hit the switch till the grooves lined up and it 'clicked' into place. Hope this helps.

All fellow canadians

If you are having trouble finding this part in Canada you can get your local Canadian Tire to order this in the CT part number is 24-5429 its around 13$ and takes 5-10 business days to arrive

85Dave I just wanted to say, THANKS! I just finnished replacing the barrings on all 4 of my windows in my Explorer. You pictures gave me the confidence to tackle the problem..

I just did all 4 and changed the gears as well, I bought the 4 door kit on ebay, which has bushings, and the rubber plugs, mine of coarse were all eaten up, what kind of grease do we use opn the tracks, my back on is vibrating on it's way down, and some WD -40 temporarily fixed the issue

did anyone ever have the wire break? the one that looks like a bicycle gear wire?
mine broke, and i'm lost.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back