Power Window Bushing Replacement | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Bushing Replacement

Thank you.

Dave:

Thank you for your excellent write-up on the window motor repair!

My front passenger window was acting up in the same way. Before doing anything, I did an Explorer Forum search and your thread popped up. Without it, I would never have known about the bushings or drilling out the dimple to remove the motor. Those Ford Engineers are clever, but devious!

Based on previous experience with the plastic bushing in my 4X4 shift motor crumbling, I was convinced that the same thing was going on inside the window motor. Without opening it up to see, I just searched for the plastic bushings and found them on NAPA online. NAPA calls them "gear plugs" I buzzed down to the local NAPA, showed them the picture and part number and said, "Got these?"

So, I spent a couple of pleasant hours this past Saturday morning doing the fix. My gear case looked just like yours: filled with little plastic crumbs.

I used a KD door panel removal tool, which made that job easy. Also, on my 92 XLT, the motor mounting screws were 8 mm hex and the screw for the gear cover is a T20 Torx.

Thanks again. Your tip, and others on the forum, has saved me a ton of money, and I had fun doing it.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Window fix

I found out about the gear kit from the Ford dealer. Advance Auto had it for $29.99. Had trouble getting the old motor out until I checked out a few Forum Posts and was reminded of the "Dimple." Knowledge is indeed power! Thanks for the help.

power window

Great write up with foto's - wouldn't have found third bolt behind dimple.
Did two back windows. Thanks for taking the time to post your detail
steps.

Sub Cover Plus

How do I put back the cover to my sub system in the rear of my 93 ford limited with Jbl sound system, I broke 1 tab and now the cover to sub keeps falling off. Also I need to know the specs on stereo jbl sound system.

How do I put back the cover to my sub system in the rear of my 93 ford limited with Jbl sound system, I broke 1 tab when trying to replace sub speaker:usa: and now the cover to sub keeps falling off.

Thanks so much for this walk through. Did the broken window last night with absolutely no problems!

How do I put back the cover to my sub system in the rear of my 93 ford limited with Jbl sound system, I broke 1 tab and now the cover to sub keeps falling off. Also I need to know the specs on stereo jbl sound system.

why dont you find the right forum to post this in!:thumbdwn:

i tried the bushings, but they were too big, and i know i have to sand them down, or whatever, but i didnt have access to anything like that :) so what i used in place of the bushings were three (3) 7/16 hex nuts. fit in there perfect, and the window is working perfect. cost me nothing because i had them in my tool box :D

are these the ones you used?
DSCN0237.jpg

another question, i have a 1992 eddie bauer,i have taken everything off the door like i am supposed to,i have taken out the two visable bolts,but when looking for the "dimple" i found like three,does any one have the same year and model and could show me witch dimple to drill?i dont want to just drill random holes in my frame....

another quick question,what type of grease should i use when i put everything back together?

...I forget what I used but when you pick up the bushings, most stores if you ask will have a single use package for about a buck...That's what I got..

...I forget what I used but when you pick up the bushings, most stores if you ask will have a single use package for about a buck...That's what I got..

I am going to do it using the 7/16" hex nuts witch i already have,i need to go back up there to buy a 1/2 inch drill bit anyways,ill ask them.Im really hoping that when i try all of this it works,i feel confident that i should be able to do it,ive just never really done anything like this.Ive been so tierd of having to pull up or push my windows just to get them to go up or down,its very time consuming when you have to do it to all four lol

...I wouldn't use the 7/16 nuts...Within the last few months someone else did this and as commonly occurs, had to buy new motors shortly after...;)

...Your rear windows may be different and and have cables on them, a different set up for 91-92 models...Check page 4or5 of this thread and I've posted info where to find that fix...

Hmm i might have to do some more searching for the bushings then,i went to a parts store down the street from me and they didnt have them.Any sugestions?My back two go up and down alot better than the front two,im going to tackle one at a time,starting with the front driver,then front passenger,they drive me the most crazy!

...The link I posted has the prices and stores that carry them...Good luck with your project...:D

Thanks for the info man,ill let everyone know how it goes!ill probably get to it sometime next week when i can get a day off :thumbsup:

are these the ones you used?
DSCN0237.jpg
]

another question, i have a 1992 eddie bauer,i have taken everything off the door like i am supposed to,i have taken out the two visable bolts,but when looking for the "dimple" i found like three,does any one have the same year and model and could show me witch dimple to drill?i dont want to just drill random holes in my frame....

I did my drivers side last sat. It was not bad at all, took me 30 mins from start to finish! The plugs from the parts store are only around $8. They will fit! you just have to make sure they are completly in the rounded corners, line up the cover, and push straight down! It would help to tip one edge of the bushing away from cover as you push down. Also you can cut them with a utility razor knife, the are pliable. Those 7/16 nuts look real big compared to the plugs! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any sugestions on how to remove the c-clip? i dont want to break it,but am having troubles removing it with my smallest flat head i have,and if i do manage to break it what are the chances of it still working without a c-clip?

Back