• Register Today It's free!

Power window issues.

Shen2187

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT 4x4
Just figured I would run this by you all and see what advice I get.

Recently my power windows on the front right, and rear left, have decided to stop functioning correctly. Here's her symptoms...

The motors spin, but the windows do not move, They make a "thump thump thump" noise as they try to push the windows up. If you give them a little help, they go up, but not at all like they should. Now the one up front wont go down on it's own either, the "scissors" keep it from dropping to the bottom, as they should. So it's not just one direction.

Hayne's is very vague in this area, and I don't know what kind of system ford used in these vehicles. (1991 XLT, duh) So I'm a bit lost here.

Anyone encountered this problem before? And, How would I go about remedying it?

I'll check here in the morning before I go job hunting. Again...
Good Night.
:salute::usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Weird... I did a search and that thread didn't come up...

Thanks.

You need to replace the window motors for both windows. The cable that runs internal has, for a lack of a better term, lost traction. The causes the drive to spin without the window moving, or moving in a jerky fashion. With the door open, have someone operate the switch while you help the motor up by pressing on the outer and inner surfaces of the glass while lifting it.

They aren't hard to replace. they are held in by 3 bolts in a triangular pattern. Two you can see readily (square drive head) but you do have to drill a 1/2' hole to access #3. There's a dimple in the door panel that acts as a guide for drilling. They're expensive from Ford, but most of the mass market places have rebuilts for under $100 (I paid $67 for one last month at Auto Zone).

nah it's Probly the bushings.

Yeah, it's the bushings, going to do the 7/16 nuts trick. The drivers side is starting to do the same thing the others were before they stopped moving at all. So I have to do something before that happens. I would die if I couldn't open the drivers side lol.

be warned. I finally got pissed at my front right motor and filled the bushing spaces in with epoxy. Worked great for awhile then had problems and when I removed it the shaft that holds the secondary gear was broken loose from it's pressed in spot. Might have Been a fluke but I think the purpose of the bushings is to absorbthe back and forth shock.

Steel nuts won't absorb that shock.

had the same problem in my ranger its the regulator goes bad and you have to replace the motor regulator assembly

I have sheets of rubber, I can probably cut new bushings out of that... just remembered I had those in the attic...

7/16 trick the best

Had the same problem on my fp and rd windows. The 7/16 trick worked like a champ.

I've worked on a few where nuts were used. The nuts ate up the gear and housing.

I've got a small lathe and enough scrap Delrin rod to last me the rest of my life. When things are slow, I cut another dozen or so bushings. In my younger years, I cut up some timing belts and inserted in the motors. They worked fine and didn't chew up the housings. They were quiet, too.

J...southern farmhand engineer.

Back