• Register Today It's free!

Power window (NOT motor bushings)

SevyDuce

Reaction score
City, State
Walnut Creek, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport
Hi - I am having an issue with the drivers side power window - 93 X Sport. Did some searching first, just want to be clear that this is NOT the motor bushing issue because I cannot even hear the motor going.

I just used the window to roll it down, and 2 minutes later I go to roll up and nothing. Not clicking, no motor, no nothing. I get a clicking (relay?) when I push the down button, of course it's already down, but nothing going up. Voltage gauge does take a hit for every button press though, so there shouldn't be anything wrong with the switch (right?). Fuses are fine, and the other power window works great.

Any ideas what it could be? Did the motor just give out all of a sudden? It was working perfectly just a minute ago, not showing a single sign of hesitation or drag, so I don't know.

Thanks in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one times the motor/regulator gears will not mesh corectly and theyle freeze up. You have to take off the door panel and take out three bolts that hold in the motor. And usually kinda pry it out lightly with a screwdriver.

My pass side window does this occasionally.

Maybe a seized motor but I think it's probly just the gears binding.

It might still be the bushings, since when they get really torn up, especially if the window is still used when they're trashed, the pieces will get caught up in the gears. Usually the motor will still go, but if the pieces get in the right places, they'll probably stop it from going. If you can grab the window and push it up some, and the motor will still move with assistance pushing up the window, it's likely the bushings.

You'll probably want to pull the motor in any case and take off the cover to see what the deal is. If the bushings are fine and you need another motor, you can probably get one off a parts truck in the for sale forum a lot cheaper than the parts store.

...This could happen as the bushing begins to fall apart..A piece gets wedged in the gears and it locks up...Showing power drop at your voltage guage is usually a good sign for the window motor...repeatedly trying to roll the window up/down while the gears are jammed, not good...

I know exactly what this is, because i just had this problem. Your One Touch module has gone bad, you can try wacking the door just under the elbow pad while holding the up button. Or try slamming the door while holding the button. If this fails, you will need to open up the door and replace the module. If you are in a pinch and cant get your hands on the module, I have a quick fix. Unplug the module, and look at it, there are 2 large connectors, and 3 small connectors. If you plug a standard blade fuse (10a) into the 2 large connectors, you can control the window again.

Ok, I got the window working. Not sure exactly what it was - all I did was loosen the bolts for the motor (dimple already drilled, so the motor might have been replaced already). I didn't remove all the way, just loosened them, then tried the window switch. The motor started turning, so I just tightened it back up and it's ok now. I think that it was just off the track and jammed like seth said, so that was my first try.

Thanks all, for the help B)

Hi all! This is my first post here since joining the forum.

I also have a power window issue (not bushings). I thought that it might be the bushings since I could hear the motor going but the window didn't move. I pulled it all apart (as per 85Dave's outstanding thread) but the bushings are intact. I put it back together (just the cover over the gear) and plugged it back in. The gears turn but they seem slow. This could be normal, I've never done this before. I don't want to reassemble the whole door if the motor is shot. Any suggestions? Could it just be that the metal gear is not engaging the track in the door?

Dan V.

If it is working slow, you might try greasing the regulator and gears

Thank SeveDuce, but it was the motor. It was shot. Replaced it with a new one and it works fine.

Dan V.

sweet man glad you got it working.

Back