Power Window Off Track?

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
Yesterday I got rear ended by a woman in a Dodge of some sort. The impact was pretty intense yet I had no impact damage on the rear as my tow ball stopped any body contact. (left a good imprint of the tow ball on her bumper though) As I had no damage on the body I went on my way. However, next time I tried to roll up the drivers window and it only went up a couple inches and stopped and down only a couple inches. It was completely open at the time of impact. It seems to be off track and I'm not sure how to fix this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I had to replace (re-install, actually) the driver door window motor, the window was off the track (the previous owner pulled the motor and propped the window up with a board) Once I took the interior panel off it was an easy fix to put it back on the track. The most difficult part of the job for me was removing the panel without breaking any of the plastic trim around the various buttons and levers.

Personally I find the plastic clips that hold door panels a pain due to the need to take the panel off multiple times during my truck's lifetime so I removed them all and bolted mine up along the same points.

If your window just came off the track it should be pretty easy to get it back on track and removing the door panel will be the hardest part. I like to use a box of some sort to sit the panel on after removing all the clips so it doesn't scrape on the ground and hang on the wires while unscrewing the switches from the panel. Using a wide screwdriver wrapped in a thin rag has always worked best for me, some recommend a putty knife type tool but I have trouble finding one that's actually durable enough.

Thanks for the advice, I have a little more confidence now. Let you know how it turns out.

Window stuck

No problem with the door panel but now that I am in there I can see the window is out of line with the front channel it slides up in. Window is stuck in half up position and I cant figure out how to get it down to line up with that channel. I took the nut off the front part of the regulator which allowed a little movement. Can anybody offer any help?

If you are mechanically inclined it is a "when you see it you will know" situation. I have had to take my windows out a couple of times and it is not that hard.
First. take off the outside rain seal (NOTE: there is a nut on the back side of the door that you need to remove otherwise you will bend the rain seal.)
Second: take off the inner door panel.
Third: Take the bolt out that holds the back window track in place and remove the guide.
Fourth:I like to lower the window some so that I can get to the bolts holding the glass to the track. (Be careful here as it likes to drop and you could lose a finger if you are not careful. )
Fifth: Lower the glass into the door some and rotate it some and it should come right out.

Back