Power Window Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Problems

ImNoMechanic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I'm new so be gentle.

I have a simlar issue to what I have been reading that some of my power windows stopped working. The four rocker controls on the driver's panel have lights illuminating the arrows. However, just the driver's window rocker switch and the rocker switch for the passenger behind the driver stopped working. Both of the passenger side rocker switches work on the driver's control panel and on the passenger side doors.

I have tried pulling on the wires running from the door to the body and none appear broken. I haven't disassembled the door. Before I do any idea as to which wire I need to trace to find where it is broken? Or am I chasing my tail?
What would cause only half of the driver's control panel to stop working?
If I try and use the driver's auto down feature I hear a faint click.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in the same boat as you. My passenger window stopped working. It'll work one day then not work again for a week. I checked the wires and didn't find anything. This started happening after they broke out my passanger window to steal my radio. I dont know if the motor is going bad or is bad, or a wire is just grounding out. If i come across anything i'll let you know.
p.s. sorry I didnt have an answer for your question. didn't mean to ramble on about my window issue.

I'm new so be gentle.

I have a simlar issue to what I have been reading that some of my power windows stopped working. The four rocker controls on the driver's panel have lights illuminating the arrows. However, just the driver's window rocker switch and the rocker switch for the passenger behind the driver stopped working. Both of the passenger side rocker switches work on the driver's control panel and on the passenger side doors.

I have tried pulling on the wires running from the door to the body and none appear broken. I haven't disassembled the door. Before I do any idea as to which wire I need to trace to find where it is broken? Or am I chasing my tail?

Thanks in advance.

Theres a black ground wire in the door boot, maybe 12 or 14 gauge, thickest one in the bundle of wires. Give it a tug, will come loose just fix it and it should be good.

I'm new so be gentle.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Since 2 of your windows work and 2 don't, I'm leaning toward a faulty master control switch on the driver's door. Who knows? :dunno: Finding electrical issues can sometimes be like finding a needle in a haystack!

Here's what I would do:

1. Check for broken/damaged wires in the boot between the driver door and the body.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

2. Pinpoint tests from the shop manual.

Here is the link for the pinpoint tests from the shop manual for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

This used to be downloadable for free but now they charge for downloading it. I have it downloaded so let me know if you want me to email it to you.

Good luck with the fix! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

I'm in the same boat as you. My passenger window stopped working. It'll work one day then not work again for a week. I checked the wires and didn't find anything. This started happening after they broke out my passanger window to steal my radio. I dont know if the motor is going bad or is bad, or a wire is just grounding out. If i come across anything i'll let you know.
p.s. sorry I didnt have an answer for your question. didn't mean to ramble on about my window issue.

I had the same thing going on with my driver's window. I replace the master control switch and still had the random working, not working thing going on. I knew it wasn't wires on the boot because I had already fixed them when I had other issues and when all the windows stopped working. What I ended up doing was changing the motor and all is well now. I replaced just the motor and left the regulator alone. I got the motor at NAPA for around $50.

Hope this helps out!! :thumbsup:

Dan, check your email and your PM. I sent the file to your email and PM'd you a picture of the symptom chart that tells you what Pin Point Test to perform for each window.

Thanks BigRondo I was leaning towards just buying a new motor and putting it in. Figure this way if it doesnt work its a wire, if it works then it was the motor. Gonna tackle this project tomorrow and fix my BWM (brown wire mode) guess when they ripped the radio out they also ripped a wire for the BWM. Snows coming to chicago soon, wanna make sure the 4x4 is working.

Thanks BigRondo I was leaning towards just buying a new motor and putting it in. Figure this way if it doesnt work its a wire, if it works then it was the motor. Gonna tackle this project tomorrow and fix my BWM (brown wire mode) guess when they ripped the radio out they also ripped a wire for the BWM. Snows coming to chicago soon, wanna make sure the 4x4 is working.

Your right about snow coming soon. We got a foot a couple of weeks ago.

Let me know if you have any questions about changing the motor. Like I said, I changed just the motor and not the regulator. It was a relatively easy job. I got the motor at NAPA for about $50. I discovered that they gave me the wrong one after I got the motor out of the door. I brought the motor down there with me and got the right one.

Good luck with the fixes.

Not trying to high jack the thread but I have the exact same issue. I will let you guys know what I find out.

Not trying to high jack the thread but I have the exact same issue. I will let you guys know what I find out.

Here is a great link for troubleshooting the power windows, thanks to theofam for this great link Dead Link Removed

wiring diagrams

I had a bad shorted out wire going to my right rear window and it is easy to fix , i have the factory ford wiring diagram book and if u give me your address i will send u copies and instructions on how to easily troubleshoot and fix them yourself but it could take a while online! let me know

While were talking windows ill add my problem. I can put the back two down but not up fome the master switch and vise versa from the problem doors switches. Its complicated my head hurts just explaining it. Ill give the master switch a try seems like the price went down on it. Its been that way for a few years now. Last I checked the switch was around two hundred. Its not that bad, no one is ever back there. I take that back, it kinda sucks when you hit the wrong switch and its about 5 degress out with snow blowing down your neck. Think texing and driving is dangerous, try putting up those windows and staying in your lane. Ive been spotted in the back seat going down interstate 95, and yes i was the driver.

While were talking windows ill add my problem. I can put the back two down but not up fome the master switch and vise versa from the problem doors switches. Its complicated my head hurts just explaining it. Ill give the master switch a try seems like the price went down on it. Its been that way for a few years now. Last I checked the switch was around two hundred. Its not that bad, no one is ever back there. I take that back, it kinda sucks when you hit the wrong switch and its about 5 degress out with snow blowing down your neck. Think texing and driving is dangerous, try putting up those windows and staying in your lane. Ive been spotted in the back seat going down interstate 95, and yes i was the driver.

I got my master switch from ebay. It is a Dorman 901-314. It is working great and I wouldn't hesitate to install it again.

I paid $46.88 with free shipping. The seller was "Auto Parts Direct To You".

Here is a link, looks like the price has gone up! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-901-...es&vxp=mtr&hash=item483f46c895#ht_1773wt_1139

Back