power window / wiper issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power window / wiper issues

RAN84MSU

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
Guys, I have read a ton of threads on my problem, but I need more help.

Problem: power windows, windshield wipers and interior lights do not work
After researching the threads, I have no broken wires in the door, have replaced the accy relay and checked the other relays, all good. Now, when I turn on the key, the power windows work, interior light comes on, but no wipers, but I do have washer fluid spray.
When I start the engine, the accy relay trips, and I loose the windows and the interior lights.
After the engine is shut off, the relay trips and I have power again.

Is my problem going to be the GEM module? If so, besides the used ones on Ebay, where else can I get one?

Thanks for the help!

Actually, your problem is failing to use a meter to find out what is actually going on with the circuits involved. :) That being said, you don't know why the relay is dropping... is it a voltage issue or grounding issue... as such, the GEM only switches grounds (for the most part), hence by not knowing what your issue actually is, "blindly" replacing your GEM may or may not solve your problem. Its a good bet though if you have more money than time and testing capabilities.

Thanks, looks like my next step is to start looking at the electrical circuits with a meter. Not real skilled on vehicle electrical, but it is worth a try before spending more money on this explorer.

Back