• Register Today It's free!

Power Window Wiring

MadCow

Reaction score
City, State
Sault Ste Marie, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
In the market...
I realize Im reposting but has anyone done a door swap adding doors with power windows to a truck that didnt have power windows? And if so to they have the wiring diagrams. I cant seem to find one that matches what I have pulled thus far. Finally Can I make my own harness would that work, as long as I knew the wire colour scheme?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the fords usually came with all the wiribng to make power doors work the only variance is the wiring in the door check your wires in the kick panel to see if u have the necessary wiring to hookup

ps if u do get a door, get one from a 94 they have a 10 amp fuse at the power window switch that alleviated a tsb that the explorers had

I already have all four doors actually, and its another 92 that they are from. I will look again at the other truck but I dont think there was any wiring there for power windows and locks

The power for all four doors comes through one wire, the blue/black wire. If you can create or supply that one wire through the dash and fuse it, the rest will be reasonable.

You can add the other wires, but it would be best if you cut them out of another power window Explorer. You need the eight PW wires that lead out of the LF door and which go to the other three doors(plus ground). The ground goes through one wire, they all ground through the large black wire in the LF door, it goes to the LF kickpanel. remove that one from the kickpanel with an 8mm socket.

They are all 12 gauge wires, you need the connectors at each door jamb, and the seven wires which go between them. You can identify those wires by looking at the backside of the master power window switch. You need the two for each of the other three windows, and the red/blue wire that also goes into the three doors.

If you acquire those seven wires from an existing PW Explorer, the task will be much easier than making them. Don't cut any of them, none of them. Learn how to remove the spare unneeded wires from a connector, and swap those extra wires into your connectors. Good luck,

Attachments

• Projectthread070.JPG
    Projectthread070.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,668

So what you've shown in this picture has little to do with what he will find in a junker? This looks like a mod to add 4-window controls to the passenger front door, not stock at all. Stock, these controls are only on the driver front door. All other doors will have only the switch for its own window.

Mike

Yes Mike, that is just the best small picture I have which shows the various window wire colors. What is in that picture is left front door window wiring from my old 93 Limited.

The actual wiring which he would need is pictured there. It is hanging out from the bottom edge of the door, and it is visible inside the truck coming out of the kick panel. The actual wire colors are almost the same between various models, but the connectors changed in 1995.

He needs the PW wiring from a 91-94 four door Explorer. It runs along the inner floor of the body, around behind the back seats. To remove it the rear seats need to come out. The front seats of a junk yard truck could be left in, and the extra wiring cut. Good luck,

Yes Mike, that is just the best small picture I have which shows the various window wire colors. What is in that picture is left front door window wiring from my old 93 Limited.

The actual wiring which he would need is pictured there. It is hanging out from the bottom edge of the door, and it is visible inside the truck coming out of the kick panel. The actual wire colors are almost the same between various models, but the connectors changed in 1995.

He needs the PW wiring from a 91-94 four door Explorer. It runs along the inner floor of the body, around behind the back seats. To remove it the rear seats need to come out. The front seats of a junk yard truck could be left in, and the extra wiring cut. Good luck,

Do you have other photos? cause if you do good or bad, big or small I wouldnt mind having them to look at. Andrews.Ma@gmail.com

Most of my pictures were taken of general things related to my 99 truck rebuild. The wiring pictures were about how I used the 99 wiring, and added other circuits. So I do have some showing piles of harnesses, the old 93 stuff with a set of 98 Limited wires, my 99, and an extra 2000 body harness. I'll look to see if anything would be helpful.

The key for you will be to find a truck to get the wires from, once you can begin you could get those main wires in about 15 minutes(seats not counted).

The LF door harnesses are hell to disconnect, that I'm not counting either, those could be a 1 minute task, or 15 themselves.

Got it. Great picture, great idea for a mod. I never took mine apart far enough to realize they run behind the back seats. Very interesting...

Mike

Realizing this was an old post, but I finally got to doing the wiring and It took me a complete weekend but I have wired everything up and its all working, I ended up cutting the factory harness at each door from the donar truck and ran all my own wiring inside the truck to the XLT doors. Came out better than I expected, Some body work is next and then finally after months of tinkering it should be on the road. I also have the metal to make the quad buckets, so that will be next on the list.

Very good, wiring is a whole lot more tedious than it is hard. Well done,

Back