• Register Today It's free!

power windows don't work...

mountaineergt40p

Reaction score
City, State
murrieta, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, mountaineer AWD
I have a 97 mountaineer that i really like, but she's giving me a headache at the moment. It's late summer and I have not been able to roll down my windows. I have checked the fuses and wires, all good. No broken wires in the door, all relays look good no rust but I haven't tested any of them.

I was wondering if anybody had this problem in the past with a similar vehicle? If so please let me know how you fixed the issue. please don't tell me that you sold the vehicle as a solution.

:roll:

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had that problem with all but the drivers window. Turned out that the window cut out switch in the drivers switch pad had dirty contacts.

I have a 97 mountaineer that i really like, but she's giving me a headache at the moment. It's late summer and I have not been able to roll down my windows. I have checked the fuses and wires, all good. No broken wires in the door, all relays look good no rust but I haven't tested any of them.

I was wondering if anybody had this problem in the past with a similar vehicle? If so please let me know how you fixed the issue. please don't tell me that you sold the vehicle as a solution.

:roll:

thanks.

Im currently having this problem come to find out that all my window regulators are bad and seeing that i work at auto zone i see that there not cheap

my windows on my 95 work when they want to and have been like this for over three years, i got tired of chasing the intermitant problem and just always made sure the a/c worked good.I mean that thing would piss me off cause every time i got around to lookin at it the windows would work perfect for days and then you go to the drive through and bam no windows, drive home get out to look it over and bam windows back to working. I learned that cursing at it does not fix it. lolol so i just gave up.

lol I like this truck and can't give up...

I will try cleaning out the pad for the master switch and if that doesn't do anything I might try replacing the entire motor w/ regulator... not sure what that is, but I will look it up.

thanks everyone, I appreciate your replies.

Instead of "looking" for electrical issues with your eyes... use a meter and find out what you are up against... its really hard to see electricity... :). Further, run some jumper wiring directly to the motor and see if it works before you start down the path of "blind parts replacement".

the beast is down.

when i first noticed that the windows didn't go after i rolled them down. I removed the door panel and connected the motor straight to the battery, that's how I was able to roll up all of my windows. I also noticed; with a tool that i don't know the name of... It measures the amount of electricity if any is flowing through the wire. The main power wire (blue/blak; not sure on that) that ran to my window motor had no power at all. I then followed the wire to ensure that it wasn't cracked nor had the famously known split between the door and the fender; it doesn't. Not one sign of damage except for the damage I made on my door panel tracing that wire. oops. ;) I yet to find the problem but I will go and try replacing the #27 fuse for a 10 - amp fuse... I hope this works; which i read on another thread, it had worked for the windows and moon roof or sun roof... what ever you want to call it.

further information that might help someone figure this out for everyone that is having the same problem.

When I first noticed this issue my cruise control stopped working for a couple of days but then it suddenly started working again. But still non of my windows nor sun/moon roof don't work. I will try to provide further information if i think of something.

I will follow up on this tonight. see you guys, im off to work on the beast.

Back