Power Windows; Flashing 4WD; Fuse #25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Windows; Flashing 4WD; Fuse #25

Derrick68

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Mill, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Hi All. '99 Explorer XLT. Power Windows / Moon Roof stopped working. At same time, 4WD lights flashing periodically. Replaced Accessory Delay Module with no success. Checked fuses #4 under hood and #26 in interior fuse panel and all is good. This morning with truck running and windows not working, I pulled fuse #25. Fuse was good, but when I plugged it back in, it made the noise like I'd just started the truck and issue was resolved (windows worked, 4WD lights stopped flashing). However, when I turned it off and restarted, the problem was back. I pulled/replugged fuse #25 again and problem resolved again ... like by pulling that fuse I'm "resetting" the system. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Is this potentially a GEM issue? Thanks for your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd try swapping the battery saver relay with another - like the window one-touch down relay (assuming one-touch down works). I keep forgetting which relay box diagram is correct for which model year, "probably" one of these is under the dash on the right side of the driver's footwell.

If that doesn't work, you could use a multimeter to measure whether 12V is getting to the Accessory Delay relay coil pin #86 and power input pin 87, with the key in accessory position. If both are getting 12V you could ground the accessory delay relay coil pin 85, which is what the GEM should be doing. I mean with the relay in, otherwise you could jumper on the empty relay socket from pin 87 to pin 30, taking it out of the circuit.

Battery Saver Relay 1999.gif

Under Dash Fuse Box  -CJB Central Junction Box.png

window.png

Thanks J_C ... I switched those two relays and it resolved the problem. Do I need to replace that relay, or will just the swap resolve the issue?

It's fixed until you want your driver's window to one-touch-down again. That is unless swapping the bad relay jostled it and made it start working again for a while.

The battery saver relay is one of the most used, even stays on for a while after the key is out of the ignition, so it would be best to put a new relay in there rather than one 19 y/o, OR keep a spare relay in your glovebox since that one is used on several circuits.

After digging a little further, the 2 relays that I swapped were the one-touch & the interior lamp relay based on this schematic which matches up to my relay box. Strangely, everything is working right now. Great idea to keep a spare in the car. Thanks again for your help.

2009-11-14_204927_delay.gif

Hmm, maybe the diagram is wrong or maybe just *disturbing* the relay box got one out of a bind. I suspect the problem will reoccur again, until the right relay is replaced.

Subscribed so I can find this in the future. I am having same symptoms with my 96 Explorer XLT ... good info here.

Back