• Register Today It's free!

Powered USB Port

steventadams

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
It's been a while since I've been around but after a few long drives I've decided that I need to be able to charge my cell phone while driving and I don't like how the cigarette lighter adapters look.

I want to put a USB port somewhere in the front of the car, perhaps right underneath the cigarette lighter in the passengers footwell, and make it look somewhat stock. I did some searching and came up empty but google is saying I need to make complicated circuits and everything. My initial thought was to dissect one of those adapters but I wanted to bounce the ideas off here first. Has anyone ever done this pretty simply before and if so how did they do it? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesnt get any easier than this:

3 components - you can just solder the caps straight onto the 7805's pins and shrink wrap the whole thing for a small neat package. Then just take a regular USB cable, cut it, strip some wires, and solder to the proper pins. Total cost should be under $5.

USB pinout:

So you're interested in the two outer pins - leave the two middle (data) pins alone.

If you want a bulkhead setup for a neater port on the dash, then maybe go with a bulkhead connector (also known as a "panel mount" connector) instead of just cutting up a regular USB cable:

1490.jpg

Ebay search result:

i went on and bout this and installed it into my custom center console. its called a USB couple, connected to my headunit, but they sell ones you can hardwire.

-Kug

(dead link)

im havnig posting this picture, heres the link check it out!

(lost photo)

i see we have some similarites here!
hahha sweet job man!
-Kug

The stereo I just put in my 97 is pretty cool - in addition to an Aux input in the front, it's got a regular USB port AND an SD card slot.. It will obviously charge any USB device plugged in, but the really cool thing is that it plays mp3's on them as well, so you could have either a little flash drive plugged into the USB port, or better yet a tiny SD card.. I'm totally fine just plugging my mp3 player into the Aux input, but having the other 2 options is definitely nice..

Doesnt get any easier than this:

3 components - you can just solder the caps straight onto the 7805's pins and shrink wrap the whole thing for a small neat package. Then just take a regular USB cable, cut it, strip some wires, and solder to the proper pins. Total cost should be under $5.

USB pinout:

So you're interested in the two outer pins - leave the two middle (data) pins alone.

If you want a bulkhead setup for a neater port on the dash, then maybe go with a bulkhead connector (also known as a "panel mount" connector) instead of just cutting up a regular USB cable:

Ebay search result:

I don't understand why he would need to use the capacitor's though, care to explain?

Why wouldn't he just be able to use a 7805 regulator by itself?

nice setup brian

I'm looking at a plug like this...

trying to figure out the best place to put it now

I don't understand why he would need to use the capacitor's though, care to explain?

Why wouldn't he just be able to use a 7805 regulator by itself?
Woot, sorry didnt see this reply.

The caps in the circuit stabilizes and "softens" (the voltage drop when the power is abruptly cut off) the output. In general, thats what caps do, they hold a charge and bleed it off once the supply is cut off.

But yeah you could just use the 7805 by itself.

Okay, so I ordered the plug and am going to be placing it where my lower cigarette lighter was, luckily I had a spare working 7805 regulator, wired it up and tested, works perfectly still, though I am using existing wires from cigarette plug so should I put a fuse on the positive wire from it, if so I'm only going to put a 1A fuse thats all the regulator can produce, so makes sense to me. I'll post pics when I'm done

EDIT: also when i get a new HU I'm getting one with iPod control, so i can just wire it to this plug

FWIW, Cobra makes a sweet inverter that has two recepticles for 110v AND a USB port in it. I find them on Craigslist all the time for forty bucks. I hard wired one into my truck to the right of my cupholders in the passenger side footwell. Now I have 800 watts of power all the time AND a charger for my phone, using the USB port.

It's a little more expensive, but well worth it.

where would i go about buying one of these/what would it be called?

where would i go about buying one of these/what would it be called?

Looks like a basic power inverter to me. Everyone has 'em... don't know specifically which one that one is.

I got that one at Meijers, normally 49.99$ but it was on clearance for 19.99$

It was a relitively easy install, just take the inverter apart, mount the actual inverter wherver, (Mine was in the center console) and extended the wires to meet the end (Sockets) and used the power from the cigg. lighter that was right there.

I took my center console out todo it, so it would be easier, all in all if you know what your doing, its an hour job, if that. Looks great too, mine was a TAD bit crooked, but no one ever really looks at it dead on so it was fine.

I plan on doing the same thing to my new 95, but probably doing it in the back of the center console

I don't like how the cigarette lighter adapters look.

I want to put a USB port somewhere in the front of the car, perhaps right underneath the cigarette lighter in the passengers footwell, and make it look somewhat stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a much, much simpler solution. Belkin makes a USB cigarette lighter plug that fits flush into the socket & looks totally OEM. I think it comes in black or white.

Wow I actually like that... that's slick.

Back