PowerFold 3rd Row seat won't stow

chartquist

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hello everyone,

Had a bit of a disappointing experience today when I bought my new 2016 Ruby Red Explorer Sport. No sooner had I walked out of the finance guy's office, I was met by the sales guy telling me there was a problem with the power folding 3rd row rear seats.

Both seats fold just fine, but the driver's side won't stow. It will get about halfway between the fold and the stow position and then it stops. It does not return to the fold position. It's as if it's getting bound up somehow.

I've read a few other threads about this topic, and one mentioned the "pivot bar" being bent as the culprit. I checked under the seat and everything looks to be just fine. I can physically push the seat from the stuck position to the stowed position, but it it gets bound up at the same point on the way back. The gears are not seized in any way.

Finally, the passenger side seat is just fine. No issues with it at all.

Any ideas? The dealer will fix it for sure, but I am super bummed at the thought of them tearing everything apart in the back of my BRAND NEW Explorer and then dealing with the inevitable squeaks and rattles that they are going to cause.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is everything out of the way under the seat in the "well" under it? There is stuff "stored" there from delivery ... just a thought.

There will be no squeaks and rattles from them having to remove your rear seat (worst case). You are only talking a few bolts.. removing a dash board, completely different story.

is everything out of the way under the seat in the "well" under it? There is stuff "stored" there from delivery ... just a thought.

Yep, the area is completely clear. It's almost acting like it's stopping due to binding somehow though. Hoping it will be an easy adjustment.

Update: Got the Explorer back and it was an easy fix... apparently the wiring connection between the seat and the car was losing connection at some point as the seat stowed. Easy fix and we are back in business!

Update: Got the Explorer back and it was an easy fix... apparently the wiring connection between the seat and the car was losing connection at some point as the seat stowed. Easy fix and we are back in business!
What was the fix???

Back