Powerfold third row seat question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Powerfold third row seat question

Jmurray3

Reaction score
Thinking I may purchase a 2013 Limited. Regarding the powerfold seats, do you have to put down the headrests manually or do they fold up when you push the button? I know my kids will sit back there so the headrests will be up. But my wife will want to fold down seats every time they get out so the headrests don't block the rear view... Also I'm assuming there's controls that the driver can use, not just the controls in the back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The controls are only in the rear. Nothing up front.
Yes they will fold automatically. The kids will have to put them up when they sit back there.

Thinking I may purchase a 2013 Limited. Regarding the powerfold seats, do you have to put down the headrests manually or do they fold up when you push the button? I know my kids will sit back there so the headrests will be up. But my wife will want to fold down seats every time they get out so the headrests don't block the rear view... Also I'm assuming there's controls that the driver can use, not just the controls in the back?
Welcome to the Forum Jmurray3.:wavey:
The 3rd row headrests will automatically fold down when you fold the seats with the power buttons. When the seats are unfolded and returned to the upright position, the headrests remain folded and have to be manually returned to the upright position. Unless things have changed in the 2013 model, the only controls for the 3rd row seats are in the back behind the 2nd row seats. If you are not familiar with the power seats, they can both be folded or stowed together or individually. Also the power fold only works when the transmission is in 'Park" and the liftgate is open. Hope that helps.

Peter

Thanks for the info. Would be nice if driver could stow seats but not the end of the world.

Power Rear Seat Issues

Just picked up a 2012 Explorer with power rear seats. The passenger side seat will not move. It is currently folded and I can not get it to go to the normal position at all. I attempted the "reset" as detailed in the manual but that didn't work. Tried it in the RH and BOTH options for the select switch.

The driver side seat operates without issues.

Anyone know where to start looking? Or how to manually get it to normal at least for now?

Just picked up a 2012 Explorer with power rear seats. The passenger side seat will not move. It is currently folded and I can not get it to go to the normal position at all. I attempted the "reset" as detailed in the manual but that didn't work. Tried it in the RH and BOTH options for the select switch.

The driver side seat operates without issues.

Anyone know where to start looking? Or how to manually get it to normal at least for now?
Welcome to the Forum bluenadas.:wavey:
I would go back to the dealer and show them the problem. I'm assuming the vehicle is still under the factory 3 year/36k mile warranty. I would not try and force the seat back to the upright position. The seats do not operate manually and forcing them may cause further damage to the electric motors. I took a quick look through the fuse diagrams and it seems there are no individual fuses for the seats. So if it were a blown fuse, I would suspect that neither one would work.
Also, it would be very helpful if you added the model to your profile so that it will show in the left margin where your name is. This will be helpful when answering future questions/concerns.
Good luck.

Peter

not overly sure why my question was merged into a topic regarding someones inquire to the operation of the seats. But power seats is power seats I guess.

First time here and so far it seems a CF.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuses. I was wondering if they were individual.

Just picked up a 2012 Explorer with power rear seats. The passenger side seat will not move. It is currently folded and I can not get it to go to the normal position at all. I attempted the "reset" as detailed in the manual but that didn't work. Tried it in the RH and BOTH options for the select switch...

Hi bluenadas,

This sounds like a good puzzle for your dealership to solve. I recommend making an appointment so they can take a peek; send me your information via PM and I'll also check out some options to help. Be sure to include your VIN, servicing dealership, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

Back