PowerSlot Cryo install gone bad - Wheel studs (searched) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PowerSlot Cryo install gone bad - Wheel studs (searched)

Fredness

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tejas!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Seems wheel studs a re a major weakness on the Explorers. I had 1 rear shear, and on the same (RR) one stripped. I was able to knock them out the back and I think I can get new ones in tomorrow using the greased washer and lug nut as a press (found in search), tomorrow.

The real issue is the Front. I have 2 studs (one on each front wheel!) that just spin. The stud is turning in the hub and won't let go. This is a 4x2, so the new "rotors" are one piece hubs complete with new studs. If I can get the old ones off, I'm solid.

Any hints? Tires are inplace, so heat is out. Cutoff wheel? ...slot and split with a chisel?

Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"eat" away the stud with a drill bit thats just a hair larger than the diameter of the wheel stud. This bit should eat into the lug nut too and to prevent the nut from spinning, hold it with a box-end wrench. Getting the drill bit centered is important but as I remember it, the studs never protrude from the nuts so the nut should help you keep the bit centered initially. You may need a few drill bits as studs are typically high-carbon steel. As soon as the bit eats away the "interface" between the stud and the nut, the nut should pop out so reinstall and properly tighten the other lug nuts first to prevent the vehicle from falling off its wheel.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realize there won't be any easy (or fun) solutions...
Thanks!
Fred

Oh itll be fun :D

Fun if I were a *********...
:D

:biggthump

I tilted the breaker bar to get one to grip, the lug nut wasn't tight, so it came right off.

The other one met a 1/2" titanium drill bit. It's now a tech article submission...

Thanks

Back