PowerSlot slotted and partial drilled PROSTOP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PowerSlot slotted and partial drilled PROSTOP

Boggl

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' XLT AWD V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So they are for the "look" of cross/drilled rotors. So depending how deep the slots and "dimples" (as they call it) are, they will wear away and soon just be normal rotors. And I doubt they'll be anywhere near the performance of the actual cross and drilled. Just my opinion though. Let us hear a review once you've got them on

-Drew

I have a set of power slot rotors on my 1998, with high preformance pads, and it stops a lot better, I don't have the dimples, but the just sloted rotors are great.

Explorer#2 said:
I have a set of power slot rotors on my 1998, with high preformance pads, and it stops a lot better, I don't have the dimples, but the just sloted rotors are great.

but these aren't really powerslots -- they are like "fake" performance brakes. The slots and drills are like hardly deep at all. Like they say:

Designed for the performance enthusiast who wants the “look” of a cross drilled brake rotor without the inherent cracking problems

You shouldn't see any performance increase.

-Drew

I've got "real" Powerslots and they saved my bacon recently when I wasn't paying attention to the guy in front of me (he'd stopped) and the Poweslots w/ Hawk pads stopped me way faster than OEM. I was impressed.

no, the slots are real and they work i don't have the dimples. trust me they are real and they work, the dimples don't do anything, but the slots do.

I too have the real Power Slot rotors and am very pleased with their performance; a great brake upgrade.

and another thing is that i can now lock my breaks because the breaks are better than the stock breaks and the ABS sensors are stock

This is true. The Slots are exact on these two. It's just the dimples that are taking away some rotor surface that 'might' reduce performance. This is my third set of powerslots so I though I would try these... I have had them all crack. But they have lasted longer than the rest.

Oi!

How about these for rotors? I will soon be trying out a set of 12.90" rotors, with four piston Corvette calipers. If they do the job, they would be great for 4WD/AWD Explorers with heavy wheels. Regards,

Attachments

• Brakeproject003.JPG
    Brakeproject003.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 288
  • Brakeproject001.JPG
    Brakeproject001.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 276
  • Brakeproject002.JPG
    Brakeproject002.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 283

I have 18's, the stock Cobra rotors have too little offset, so two piece rotors are necessary. The calipers have 1.875" pistons, and fit 1.25" thick rotors. The stock Explorers use 11" rotors 1.100" thick. I will try 12.75" rotors for a second test, as they may fit inside of 16" wheels.

Add 3.25" to a rotor size, to estimate a wheel minimum diameter. Regards,

Wow! You have to post results - Looks promising. Man do the stock brakes stink on AWD V8 eh?! Might be the same system on the sport?!

I have a development thread on the XP8 site. I'll start an install thread here when I get the first set onto my 98 Mountaineer.

The 95-01 4WD/AWD front brakes are all the same. The 2001 and newer Sport Trac and Sport uses a different spindle and rotor. I have the 12" stock spindles on my 99 chassis, allowing me to use the 12" rotors on that. Regards,

OK ~ The Powerslots are on. I also changed out my two upstream O2s. Truck is running clean now. I have only 25mi on the new rotors but seem to be working fine except for the slight pull to the left when braking. Anyone know what that could be? There was a lot of air in the lines prob from the heat?! The O2s were not fun but went smooth. Reaching around a warm tranny proved tedious.

Back