Powertrain, ABS, Trac Control, Pass Air bag lights on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Powertrain, ABS, Trac Control, Pass Air bag lights on

02LimitedX

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 EB 4.6
I have a 2007 explorer EB, 4.6L, 4x4. Went to leave work last night at 11pm and when I started my car I had the powertrain (wrench) light, the passenger air bag light, ABS, traction control and 4x4 light all came on. I shut it off and restarted it and the 4x4 light went off. I drove around in the empty parking lot to make sure everything functioned well enough to drive. The brakes felt strange at first but were fine. I drove it home (15 miles) and the traction control light went off. When I got home I ran it through the 4wd options (High, low and then back to auto). When I was in High or low 4wd the powertrain (wrench) light went off. It came back on when I shifted it back into auto 4x4. I went to bed and this morning took my wifes car and bought a obd2 code reader. When I started my explorer the wrench light was off, so there is no code to be pulled. I pulled the battery to reset the computer and left it unhooked for over half an hour. Hooked the battery back up and it still has the ABS and passenger air bag light on. It seems to drive fine, no shifting problems or anything like that. I read about the ABS tone ring and checked them out on the rear axle. The appear intact. I have no idea where to start and I dont want to take it to the dealer.

I had that issue twice; once it was the ABS ring, and second time my ABS harness from one of the front hubs was defective. I could wiggle the harness between the hub and the engine compartment and it would set those codes.

Update:

Tried driving to work today. Just abs and pass airbag light on. Backed out of driveway and it tried shifting into 4hi and the traction control light. Locked up and wouldn't go forward. Put in reverse and it backed up easily. Tried pulling back into driveway and it locked up again. Had to take the wife's car to work.

I took it to the dealer. Bad wheel speed sensor and the restraint control module is not working.

Back