• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Pre-Collision and Powertrain Malfunction

Vu Pham

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLE
Having a big issue with 2020 Explorer XLT
I got the Pre-collision warning system malfunction. It happened the first time at 5xx miles, and let me tell you guys my experience:

I was driving in heavy traffic on a Houston evening day, then the warning goes off says " Pre-collision assist not available", I think "It might a small issue with the sensor and I will check it in the first maintenance". 5 minutes after the Pre-collision assist stop working another warning pop-up POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION/ REDUCE POWER!!!!!
Then the car doesn't automatically shift up the gear itself, I can feel that because when I accelerate and release the pedal, the car seems stuck in the low gear, and I have to shift up manually anytime I release the pedal.
I took an exit and called immediately to the Ford service and THEY SAID:
" We don't know what happens with the vehicle, maybe it just a little "glitch" with the computer and please turn off entire of the car and re-start it"( It sounds like you call to Microsoft Windows customer service)
I do exactly what they said and the issues are gone. They asked me to bring the car to the service to check, and I said "Ok" it a second part I'm going to tell right below

I couldn't bring the car to the service the day after that because I was super busy at the end of the year. But I had to bring my car to the service after another 7 warnings pop-up again and again. The Ford Service Department returned my car after 2 check-up days and said they couldn't find any issues with the vehicle. WHAT!!! I show them the warnings in Fordpass app and they told me: "We understand but it doesn't help us to find out the issues". It was so frustrating.

I called directly to Ford Company Customer Service and they already had a conversation with the dealership. I will bring my car back to the dealership next week. (Now the warnings still keep popping up.)

Screenshot_20200128-125327.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have moved your post to its own thread. Good luck and please report back.

Peter

Bender953

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Columbus
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 &
2020 Limited White
Callsign
Bender953
Same thing here. This morning is the 4th time all the warnings came up (4wd fault, pre-collision assist not avail, powertrain malfunction) First time they replaced the trans cooler and line. Other times they say they can't find anything wrong. Seen other posts about front sensor being blocked or battery issues. Seems no one knows. Really frustrated. Dreading another fruitless visit to the dealership.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve II
Callsign
VE3
...........I called directly to Ford Company Customer Service and they already had a conversation with the dealership. I will bring my car back to the dealership next week. (Now the warnings still keep popping up.)

View attachment 177752
Please provide an update. Thanks.

Peter

Bender953

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Columbus
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 &
2020 Limited White
Callsign
Bender953
Truck going back into Ford in the morning for multiple warning messages for the 5th time! 4wd powertrain failure, collision assist not avail, etc etc. They have replaced the cooler and a speed sensor and programming. Guess its time to start sceaming lemon law at them