Pre-Collision and Powertrain Malfunction Warnings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pre-Collision and Powertrain Malfunction Warnings

Vu Pham

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLE
Having a big issue with 2020 Explorer XLT
I got the Pre-collision warning system malfunction. It happened the first time at 5xx miles, and let me tell you guys my experience:

I was driving in heavy traffic on a Houston evening day, then the warning goes off says " Pre-collision assist not available", I think "It might a small issue with the sensor and I will check it in the first maintenance". 5 minutes after the Pre-collision assist stop working another warning pop-up POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION/ REDUCE POWER!!!!!
Then the car doesn't automatically shift up the gear itself, I can feel that because when I accelerate and release the pedal, the car seems stuck in the low gear, and I have to shift up manually anytime I release the pedal.
I took an exit and called immediately to the Ford service and THEY SAID:
" We don't know what happens with the vehicle, maybe it just a little "glitch" with the computer and please turn off entire of the car and re-start it"( It sounds like you call to Microsoft Windows customer service)
I do exactly what they said and the issues are gone. They asked me to bring the car to the service to check, and I said "Ok" it a second part I'm going to tell right below

I couldn't bring the car to the service the day after that because I was super busy at the end of the year. But I had to bring my car to the service after another 7 warnings pop-up again and again. The Ford Service Department returned my car after 2 check-up days and said they couldn't find any issues with the vehicle. WHAT!!! I show them the warnings in Fordpass app and they told me: "We understand but it doesn't help us to find out the issues". It was so frustrating.

I called directly to Ford Company Customer Service and they already had a conversation with the dealership. I will bring my car back to the dealership next week. (Now the warnings still keep popping up.)

Screenshot_20200128-125327.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have moved your post to its own thread. Good luck and please report back.

Peter

Same thing here. This morning is the 4th time all the warnings came up (4wd fault, pre-collision assist not avail, powertrain malfunction) First time they replaced the trans cooler and line. Other times they say they can't find anything wrong. Seen other posts about front sensor being blocked or battery issues. Seems no one knows. Really frustrated. Dreading another fruitless visit to the dealership.

...........I called directly to Ford Company Customer Service and they already had a conversation with the dealership. I will bring my car back to the dealership next week. (Now the warnings still keep popping up.)

View attachment 177752
Please provide an update. Thanks.

Peter

Truck going back into Ford in the morning for multiple warning messages for the 5th time! 4wd powertrain failure, collision assist not avail, etc etc. They have replaced the cooler and a speed sensor and programming. Guess its time to start sceaming lemon law at them

I got the Pre-collision warning system malfunction. It happened the first time at 5xx miles, and let me tell you guys my experience:

I was driving in heavy traffic on a Houston evening day, then the warning goes off says " Pre-collision assist not available", I think "It might a small issue with the sensor and I will check it in the first maintenance". 5 minutes after the Pre-collision assist stop working another warning pop-up POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION/ REDUCE POWER!!!!!
Then the car doesn't automatically shift up the gear itself, I can feel that because when I accelerate and release the pedal, the car seems stuck in the low gear, and I have to shift up manually anytime I release the pedal.
" We don't know what happens with the vehicle, maybe it just a little "glitch" with the computer and please turn off entire of the car and re-start it"( It sounds like you call to Microsoft Windows customer service)
I do exactly what they said and the issues are gone. They asked me to bring the car to the service to check, and I said "Ok" it a second part I'm going to tell right below

I couldn't bring the car to the service the day after that because I was super busy at the end of the year. But I had to bring my car to the service after another 7 warnings pop-up again and again. The Ford Service Department returned my car after 2 check-up days and said they couldn't find any issues with the vehicle. WHAT!!! I show them the warnings in Fordpass app and they told me: "We understand but it doesn't help us to find out the issues". It was so frustrating.

I called directly to Ford Company Customer Service and they already had a conversation with the dealership. I will bring my car back to the dealership next week. (Now the warnings still keep popping up.)

View attachment 177752
How did this ever turn out for you!? This just started happening to me today and of course service isn’t open until the morning.

How did this ever turn out for you!? This just started happening to me today and of course service isn’t open until the morning.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member has not been seen here since that post. Happens too many times unfortunately.
Please report back after your service appointment.
Thanks.

Peter

After a bunch of visits a few months back where they couldn't figure it out, it turned out to be an axle sensor. Confirmed with a tech yesterday when I was in for another problem that they had a few Explorers that had the issue and the axle sensor fixed it. He said a bad connector

After a bunch of visits a few months back where they couldn't figure it out, it turned out to be an axle sensor. Confirmed with a tech yesterday when I was in for another problem that they had a few Explorers that had the issue and the axle sensor fixed it. He said a bad connector
hope your issue went away. I just started having 4WD fault message with the same notification as yours on the phone.
Just booked an appt. Hoping it's nothing big.......

hope your issue went away. I just started having 4WD fault message with the same notification as yours on the phone.
Just booked an appt. Hoping it's nothing big.......
It hasn’t yet! The ford dealer I bought it from was less than helpful. They said it was purely rat damage, which there was a bit because I live in the desert but were absolutely horrible to work with. Just to the front camera though. I got that fixed by my trusted repair shop but now it’s sometimes blue and they said there was absolutely zero other signs of rat damage elsewhere. I’m going to be taking it to a different dealer to see if they can figure it out. Please reach out if you get any help! I’ve read the NHTSA reports and they’re certainly concerning. Looks like it’s pointing to an overall bad design/quality on the transmission in general. :(

The dealer took care of my issue! I had multiple fault messages. Even got the traction control &4wd disabled on the way to the dealer D:

They diagnosed the wheel speed sensor to be the issue.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the update.

The dealer took care of my issue! I had multiple fault messages. Even got the traction control &4wd disabled on the way to the dealer D:

They diagnosed the wheel speed sensor to be the issue.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! The new place I went seemed to be much better. They’re trying a new fuel pump sensor and replacing the front camera. They also reprogrammed my lift gate which had a mind of its own. It liked to shut on me when I was standing right beneath it or open randomly after I walked by, but the “convenient” foot sensor never actually worked when I tried it. Hoping this works. If it doesn’t I’ll mention the wheel sensor!

Thanks! The new place I went seemed to be much better. They’re trying a new fuel pump sensor and replacing the front camera. They also reprogrammed my lift gate which had a mind of its own. It liked to shut on me when I was standing right beneath it or open randomly after I walked by, but the “convenient” foot sensor never actually worked when I tried it. Hoping this works. If it doesn’t I’ll mention the wheel sensor!
I think you should mention the wheel sensor anyway since the other issues you mentioned have nothing to do with the alerts.

Peter

Yesterday at 7,238 miles

Warning messages start popping up on the instrument cluster, cycling through one after another continuously:

4WD Fault Service Required
Service AdvanceTrac
Pre-Collision Assist Not Available
See Manual

There may have been another warning or two in there.
My FordPass messages look similar to those in the first post here.
There was no change in driveability.

My first thought was "This is one of the problems I've seen reported on explorerforum.com"

I reached my destination and the messages no longer appeared after I restarted the car and headed back home.
And not long after I started driving home, all of the messages returned.

Got up this morning and took a short drive of 30 miles. No more warning messages.

Sounds like I'll need the wheel speed sensor, or is the the axle sensor?

Yesterday at 7,238 miles

Warning messages start popping up on the instrument cluster, cycling through one after another continuously:

Service AdvanceTrac
See Manual

There may have been another warning or two in there.

My first thought was "This is one of the problems I've seen reported on explorerforum.com"

I reached my destination and the messages no longer appeared after I restarted the car and headed back home.

Got up this morning and took a short drive of 30 miles. No more warning messages.

Sounds like the exact problem I had!

View attachment 177752
Like the exact problem I had
The dealer told me its transmission problem, passenger drive shift need to be changed. I'm not sure.

I don't feel the car is smooth. I hear noises and frequent jolts would occur when I would when I would slow down around to stop

Yesterday at 7,238 miles

Service AdvanceTrac
Powertrain Malfunction
Hill Start Assist Warning
See Manual

Update from my post above from September 29, 2020 at 7,238 miles:

Now at 11k miles.

Warning messages appear on the instrument cluster, cycling through one after another continuously.

It usually takes a drive of at least 100 miles for this to occur. Once the warnings begin, they NEVER stop until the vehicle is turned off and restarted.

Once this occurs on any given day, it will probably reoccur all day.

NEW:
When the issue occurs, the 4WD/AWD does not work.
Only the rear wheels drive when this issue is happening. Forget about climbing that icy driveway.
Traction control is also disabled.

I called last week to setup an appointment for today.

The day after I called, a miracle occurred.
After being very intermittent for the past 3K miles, the trouble became constant!
I took this as a sign of good fortune.
So I dropped it off at the dealer today and they diagnosed it as TSB 20-2071 and they ordered "front half shaft sensor".
I'll return next week after the parts arrive.

Searching around the net for TSB 20-2071 does not reveal anywhere it's available to look at.
My search did reveal this thread where another member posted the solution in another forum here in April 2020.

Please share TSB 20-2071 if you can find it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back