Pre-Collision/Intelligent Cruise Control Sensor Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pre-Collision/Intelligent Cruise Control Sensor Issue

Trogdor29

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Hi Everyone,

I have the 2020 ST and started experiencing some issues recently. I have an appointment with the Dealer next week, but my curiosity is getting the best of me so I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

My intelligent cruise control isn't recognizing a vehicle in front of me and the pre-collision assist goes off as I pass a vehicle to the left of me. A few days ago I hit a parking cone at low speed (<20mph) and it went under the vehicle. All I see is a scuff mark at the lowest tip of the bumper with zero damage to any sensor; the cone was not that big to hit that high. Ever since then I've had the issues. There's no damage under the vehicle except an organge scuff on that plastic, so i'm at a loss for explanation. It feels as if the sensor isn't reading in front, but to front left of the driver side. Fortunately, the pre-collision brakes don't activate, but it does get annoying.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Are the sensors that sensitive? Any troubleshooting I can do on my end?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont know much about these sensors. Although the sensor may look in match, I wonder if it got bumped/jolted enough to stop functioning. I would think if a sensor went out, you would have warning lights. Maybe a sensor although intact is now aimed differently and thats why you are getting false alerts.

If the sensor is now aimed to the left more then it should be, collision is off to the left and therefore not seeing what is straight in front of you.

Hopefully won't be too expensive of a repair for you. Keep us posted.

Welcome to the Forum Trogdor29. :wave:
Where did the cone impact the bumper? The Active Cruise Control radar unit it in the lower part. See this picture. It is the bluish looking rectangle.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Trogdor29. :wave:
Where did the cone impact the bumper? The Active Cruise Control radar unit it in the lower part. See this picture. It is the bluish looking rectangle.

Peter
Thanks for the warm welcome and response! It hit to the drivers side left of that - so right in that photo. I can try and post a photo, but the cone was on it's side and was just tall enough to leave a scuff right on the edge of the bumper lip before continuing under the vehicle. The radar definitely isn't recognizing any vehicle in front and if that is what also feeds the pre-collision warning then I can see why. Maybe the jolt of the cone itself was enough to dislodge it or something, but I doesn't look like something I can get to myself judging from those photos.

Thanks for the warm welcome and response! It hit to the drivers side left of that - so right in that photo. I can try and post a photo, but the cone was on it's side and was just tall enough to leave a scuff right on the edge of the bumper lip before continuing under the vehicle. The radar definitely isn't recognizing any vehicle in front and if that is what also feeds the pre-collision warning then I can see why. Maybe the jolt of the cone itself was enough to dislodge it or something, but I doesn't look like something I can get to myself judging from those photos.
Yes, to the pre-collision warning.

Yes, to the pre-collision warning.
Thankful to the post you linked, because now I know where to look. I attached some photos. One shows the little scuff marks on that lip and their general location. The takeaway is that I went to touch the sensor and its loose and was moveable very easily. My guess is the jolt of the cone either popped it loose or maybe it came from the factory not fully secured and any big enough bump could have done that.

Attachments

• IMG-1270.jpg
    IMG-1270.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,132
  • IMG-1272.jpg
    IMG-1272.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 362

Thankful to the post you linked, because now I know where to look. I attached some photos. One shows the little scuff marks on that lip and their general location. The takeaway is that I went to touch the sensor and its loose and was moveable very easily. My guess is the jolt of the cone either popped it loose or maybe it came from the factory not fully secured and any big enough bump could have done that.

Back