Pre Oiler | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pre Oiler

I think I'll adopt the pressed accelerator cold startup technique and see how long my starter lasts. Counted 6 seconds this morning for the gauge needle to register, started with no noise.

Started again 2 hours later without pressing the accelerator and there was no noise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think I'll adopt the pressed accelerator cold startup technique and see how long my starter lasts. Counted 6 seconds this morning for the gauge needle to register, started with no noise.

Started again 2 hours later without pressing the accelerator and there was no noise.

That will work well, the starter should survive just fine. I have to start my work vehicle at least 40 times per day, being required to remove the key to get out of the vehicle every time, for anything. The starters are tough and should still last for years under severe duty.

I disagree that the tensioner springs alone are the issue....

No offense, but I did not state that the tensioner springs are the only issue. I clearly described three big problems. The tensioner springs are simply the first parts which will weaken enough to create the rattle at start up. The reliance on oil pressure to contribute to chain tensioning is dumb, as there is none at start up, and that greatly increases wear upon the plastic guide parts. Providing any oil pressure before engaging the starter will help immensely with that wear issue. Regards,

Pushing close to 160K on mine, never touched anything in the engine yet......fingers crossed. New TB flares start-up speed over 2000, drops immediately, but I hate it anyway. The original flared much less 1200 to 1500.

Eng. sounds amazingly quiet at idle, hsrdly hear it standing in front of the truck. A vague sort of hiss, which I attribute to P.S. pump. The vehicle has been pretty amazingly trouble-free. Only "biggie" so far, TCC Solenoid plunger bushing crumbled away, PCM caught that, I drove it 2000 miles back home with no TCC lock-up, replaced Solenoid Block, cleaned out all the little bronze crumbles, added an in-line filter, working good 50K+ later.

I've advised always, drivers who constantly get on and off the pedal, IMO "kill' the TCC Solenoid prematurely. I disagree with Ford's thinking on releasing the TCC every time the throttle is closed. At highway speed, it seems ridiculous, but I suspect 5th. gear (O/D) has no engine braking (would have to check the trans. book, it's off in the shop), and that's why they do it. imp

EDIT: Since no one called me (yet) on my ridiculous mistake, above, I'll leave it for posterity. Fact is, if the transmission free-wheeled in 5th. gear, ya get no engine braking whether the TCC is engaged or not. As mentioned, some are locking TC in 2nd. gear even. My druthers, I'd turn it on or off using a switch, but that would thoroughly confuse the PCM.

@Tech By Trade
A slight problem might exist with the cylinder you mention. Similar to a water-well pressure tank, there must be a compressible fluid (air usually) present "over" the oil, to force the oil back out of the cylinder containing it. Assuming an air "pocket" is provided, during cycling the oil back and forth, the "compression pocket" will fill with oil, and then upon opening it back to the place needing oil pressure, none will flow out. Because liquid fluids are incompressible, gaseous fluids are compressible. To maintain the air pocket in well pressure tanks, or any hydraulic system having a "reserve tank", a rubber bladder keeps the air from dissolving in the liquid, and squeezes down on the liquid surface, to press the liquid back out of the tank. Such devices are known as "accumulators".

Commercial hydraulic accumulators are readily available, maybe even in the small size you would need, but expensive. The ones I worked with were big---10 gallon tanks, heavy as hell, to withstand 4,000 psi working pressure. imp
Interesting, I wonder if a guy can track down a compatible tank then.

If such a thing exists I'll bet Summit Racing sells it. I haven't read your post explaining your reasoning for not using an electric pump, but that would seem to make more sense to me.

@Tech By Trade
A good thought was mentioned, a small electric fluid pump, rather than a stored-energy thing. I understand mfrs. are now using electrically-driven power steering pumps; that would work, but the output pressure would have to be drastically lowered, don't really want to hit the engine with 1000+ psi of oil!

EFI Diesel injectors use engine oil pumped to the injectors, to "fire" them, driving pistons which inject the diesel fuel. Maybe a small electric pump is used, I dunno. Just a thought. Commercial hydraulic accumulators are built humongously strong for high pressure use, overkill for whjat we're trying to do here. Accumulator construction:
2014be4c63e8cde9H0&w=88&h=93&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&pid=3.jpg

Look at this far-out pic:
220px-1990CitroenXM-engine.jpg

Citroën XM engine bay, showing two of Citroën's distinctive green spherical accumulators, used for the Hydropneumatic suspension system. There ya go! Just about the right size. Where the hell could a guy find a wrecked Citroen XM? imp

Back