Premade VS. Custom Cat Back Exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Premade VS. Custom Cat Back Exhaust

Rayz2000Sport

Reaction score
City, State
College Dover DE,Baltimore(Essex) Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
I have noticed that many members suggest getting a local exhaust shop to make you a custom cat back rather than buying one.

I was wondering what the pros and cons of this option are?

I would guess that the local shop will give you a much greater level customization due to the fact they they will weld up whatever you need (within reason). Where as the premade cat back has the benefit of the fact that it is premade and should fit with little problem (therefore can be done by the owner, rather than paying someone else).

I really want to upgrade my stock exhaust with my income return (when I get it) and I figured I am not the only one that has questions about this.

So, Whats the Verdict??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what kind of exhaust u thinkin of getting

what kind of exhaust u thinkin of getting

As it stands, I would probably go with the MAC cat back from Hensonperformance. But, I really want to find out what the best bang for the buck is.

With ordering the premade, I have to deal with shipping and handling fees as well as the cost of the parts. With the custom made, I just pay the local shop for parts and labor. Really not sure what to do at this point, I guess its a good thing I do not have my check haha.

My gut instinct would be to go with premade, due to the fact that most local shops have awful reputations (from personal experience with other vehicles and friends and family experiences)

i got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and i got them professionally installed but they did an alright job cause my explorer always when i am at a red light or on idle it rattles like crazy.

i got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and i got them professionally installed but they did an alright job cause my explorer always when i am at a red light or on idle it rattles like crazy.

They did a alright job because your exhaust rattles like crazy? Did I miss read that ??? I thought about duals, but I am not sure they are really needed. Also, I do not want to get rid of my spare. I am sure they could be routed in a way that would allow me to keep my spare, but I really do not know if I would gain anything from having dual exhaust (except weight reduction to my wallet and a Bad Ass sound for my truck!)

This is why I started this thread, I really do not know for sure what I want to do yet.

I got duals on mine and yea i still got the spare tire underneth

I got duals on mine and yea i still got the spare tire underneth

Yea, I have heard from other members on the site that you can get duals and keep your spare. I just dont know that I really need them. I really like the look and sound of duals but I dont not know if I should run duals.

I like the sound one mine i still got the 4 cats but i wanna remove like 2 of them i wanna see if it makes a difference in sound when i remove 2 of the cats.

I like the sound one mine i still got the 4 cats but i wanna remove like 2 of them i wanna see if it makes a difference in sound when i remove 2 of the cats.

4 cats? Why 4?

Because he has a SOHC and it has 2 pipes running from the manifolds to the muffler. You can get a single muffler with 2 outlets so you can run duals, you don't need dual mufflers. I personally have gone the custom route twice. First on my firebird but I knew a VERY good shop that only did exhaust. 2nd time was my explorer, I chopped everything off after the cats, clamped a muffler on and put a turn down right after the muffler. Truck rattling could be because of the exhaust or crap being loose inside the truck and the low pitch and rumble of the exhaust causes body panels and loose bolts to rattle. If there isn't a good shop in your area to do the work that kind of answers the question for you........

Our trucks have 4 cats--:D

well, yours does, I cut my rears off.

Unless I missed something last time I was under my truck (which is entirely possible) my truck only has two cats. They are between the headers (one each side).

JTSmith the OHV only has 2.

from rayz cardomain

My Truck is a Gold 2000 Explorer Sport. It has the 4.0 SOHC V6.

Unless I missed something last time I was under my truck (which is entirely possible) my truck only has two cats. They are between the headers (one each side).

Look for 2 humps in the pipe under the passenger seat area=rear cats

So, Whats the Verdict??

I think just going to the local shop is the better idea. It has proved to be cheaper (for all of my vehicles [~15]) that I've had exhaust work done to. You don't have to pay for the item + shipping, then take the whole thing and pay them to install it. In my experience, I've gone to the shop, bought the muffler I wanted there, and had them put it where I wanted and pic the size pipe I wanted.

I think just going to the local shop is the better idea. It has proved to be cheaper (for all of my vehicles [~15]) that I've had exhaust work done to. You don't have to pay for the item + shipping, then take the whole thing and pay them to install it. In my experience, I've gone to the shop, bought the muffler I wanted there, and had them put it where I wanted and pic the size pipe I wanted.

OK. (so while I try to find a good shop). Here is the new question.... What muffler should I get?? Also, what size pipe??

I had my Magnaflow "cat back" done for $100 locally. Pretty much the same price you could get the muffler for anywhere online. So.. try custom. :cool:

OK. (so while I try to find a good shop). Here is the new question.... What muffler should I get??

Personal preference really. Depends on the sound you like. The performance difference won't be noticeable.

I like magnaflow more than flowmaster, but you'll have a lot of people say the exact opposite. I curently have a dynomax superturbo on mine, but it was there when I bought the truck, and I didn't feel the need to change it.

The dynomax is deeper than any other exhaust I've had.
The magnaflow is smoother than any other I've had.
The flowmaster is more hollow sounding and raspy than any other I've had.

These are all on the 4.0 OHV engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I am going to go the dual route, should I do true duals (two mufflers) or because I have the dual inlet muffler just go with dual outlet and two tailpipes??

Back