Premium amp replacement with stock HU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Premium amp replacement with stock HU

I am in the process of replacing the stock door speakers with jbl 5x7s but still think that the next thing to replace is the amp. Does a new amp need a new power wire if the wiring adapters are used both at the speaker wire input from the head unit as well as the output to the speakers? Any easy size and bang for the buck recommendations out there for me?

TIA
Ben

Take it to a shop yet?

Certainly an older post but I still didn't get my questions answered so, back into the fire we go...

Is the premium amp in the quarter panel or under the back seat?

Also, I ended up putting a Sanyo FXCD-550 combo tape/cd unit to replace the stock head, put JBL 300w/60w speakers in front and Schoshe 280w/50w in the rear locations but I think the stock amplifier is blown now. It was supposed to be rated at 80w sustained but when I go over bumps one of the front speakers bows out and it's itermittant.

I don't know how to rewire a car for new speaker wires or AV plugs, let alone cross-overs, pass throughs or filters but would take advise on how easily it would be to find a replacement amp and simply swap out the existing, if you please.

Ben

Back