• Register Today It's free!

Premium fuel??

tabezic

Reaction score
City, State
Shelby twp. Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 mountaineer v8
Would there be any benefits to running premium fuel? Iv been running regular since the truck was new. But gas prices r kinda goin down so I figured I would try it but I wanted to get a second opinion first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always run premium (when possible) in my vehicles. On average I get 1-2 mpg better in my 5.0 Explorer using hi-grade gas. In all the different motors I've had apart, as soon as I took the head off, I could tell what fuel was primarily used. Build up and black soot vs. smooth and clean. In past numbers crunched, using premium was the same price (sometimes cheaper) by the time added mpg was figured. IMO

You think it would effect anything since iv never ran premium?

No it shouldn't hurt anything. I'd use premium for a month or so and poor a good fuel system cleaner in the tank. With the high performance stuff I do, I'm a firm believer in fuel quality.

Ok. I'll try it out next fill up. Probably gotta fill up a few times before it's 100% premium in the tank, I'm assuming.

you may not notice any difference in running a higher octane fuel. If you were high compression or had some sort of power adder you would need to to prevent detonation. For our stock motor though..? I'm just saying.....

If you have a stock motor and regular is recommended, then running a higher octane is a waste of money. You wont get better mileage. There is no additional energy in a higher octane fuel.

If all things are equal running a higher octane then you car calls for only lightens your wallet. Now if you compare running Joe's regular gas to Mobile premium then you may see an improvement.

Now if you compare running Joe's regular gas to Mobile premium then you may see an improvement.

Top Tier gas is the info to look up.

I like my regular gas. :D

Save your money, run 87.

im not sure if you could actually get better MPG running 91 octane being that higher octane fuels take more work to "burn" than lesser octane fuels (look up an explanation of octane, or get a chemistry book for further explanation). plus, even if you could, you would probably be spending up to 20 cents more per gallon. with a 20-24 gallon tank, you will be spending 5 - 7 dollars per fill up. if your ride is naturally aspirated and doesnt have soem sort of turbo, or something like that, just run the regular.

I'm a firm believer in running the gas that the factory recommends, running a premium fuel is only required if you have a high compression engine. A normal engine isnt going to perform any different, from running on premium when it was designed to run on the lower octane fuel. Thats my belief and thats what I've been told by a few people.

Just for what it is worth, for about 95% of Americans gas is gas. It is refined from crude oil and goes into the a pipeline system. It all comes from the a common carrier pipeline. Gasoline is a short chain hydrocarbon. It is a generic chemical. There are differences in some blends, winter, summer and oxyegenated. But you have no control.

If you want truly better gas and better mileage, find someone selling non-ethanol.

My guy said that by the end of next year, non-ethanol gas will not be available but he's going to try to find a way to get the lowest ethanol he can find.

Don't bother. Octane is a chemical to resist burning, which prevents detonation (bad thing), so theoretically it actually hurts gas mileage.
Only run it if you've raised the compression, or added a turbo/super charger

Just for what it is worth, for about 95% of Americans gas is gas. It is refined from crude oil and goes into the a pipeline system. It all comes from the a common carrier pipeline. Gasoline is a short chain hydrocarbon. It is a generic chemical. There are differences in some blends, winter, summer and oxyegenated. But you have no control.

That is true in many places however there are still differences, they all use there own additives or no additives (in the case of Joe's) also station maintenance makes a very large difference. When was the last time Joe had his tanks replaced or even cleaned? How about the conditions of the underground lines? How about the filters in the pump and the list goes on and on.

Go to a car show and ask the classic car guys (you know the ones with no ecu making adjustments for crap gas) if gas at Joe's is the same as a brand name.

Tank maintenance? Nobody "cleans" their tanks or their lines. They repalced their tanks when the EPA mandated then to be replaced, or if they have a catastrophic failure.

"Top Tier gas" that is just a sign out front. It is all about franchizing and marketing. The big oil companies dont want you to know that because they make big money on their brand recogonion. It is all smoke and mirrors,

Ethanol kinda sucks as a motor fuel. Lower heat content, degrades fuel delivery components, high water content not what I want in my cars.

Best thing you can do is to use a high quality fuel injector cleaner fuel additive.

You want to know the truth about gasoline talk to a petroleum jobber.

As said above, running premium in an engine that is not tuned to use it is a waste of money. It will not make your stock engine run any better, get better mileage or clean out your fuel system.

Tank maintenance? Nobody "cleans" their tanks or their lines. They repalced their tanks when the EPA mandated then to be replaced, or if they have a catastrophic failure.

"Top Tier gas" that is just a sign out front. It is all about franchizing and marketing. The big oil companies dont want you to know that because they make big money on their brand recogonion. It is all smoke and mirrors,

Ethanol kinda sucks as a motor fuel. Lower heat content, degrades fuel delivery components, high water content not what I want in my cars.

Best thing you can do is to use a high quality fuel injector cleaner fuel additive.

You want to know the truth about gasoline talk to a petroleum jobber.

Nobody cleans tanks or lines LOL

http://www.ustankalliance.com/services/tankcleaning/
http://www.refuel.com/
http://www.camvacusa.com/fuel-cleaning-services.html

There are thousands of such companies, I wonder how they all stay in business since nobody uses them.

Tanks and line cleaning has been done for many years but has really picked up with the switch to E10.

I think you meant to say nobody at Joe's does tank cleaning.

That is one of hundreds of differences between Joe's and brand names. Buy what you want but it is NOT some great conspiracy by the big bad oil companies and to imply it is, is incorrect.

stick with man.suggestion on octane. on the subject of tank cleaning an maintainence there is a big difference. im a soda vender and ive spoken to many attenedents and managers here is what ive found.
big names and chains have strict regulations for checking water and other contaminants in fuel. joe usually doesnt want to come out of pocket for the testing and will sometimes skip intervals.
some joes will sell 87 in all the grades, yes even though it labeled and priced differently.
i read somewhere different fuel brands have cleaning properties that act differently to others so your best bet is to switch between major brands every 1500 miles or so. This is to prevent build up from a certain brand not cleaning everything.if i find the artical i will link it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want truly better gas and better mileage, find someone selling non-ethanol.

My guy said that by the end of next year, non-ethanol gas will not be available but he's going to try to find a way to get the lowest ethanol he can find.

I have heard this too. I am going to try and find some ethanol free gas tomorrow. I have a hunch where I can find it. A friend tries to get that gas as often as possible and he said he sees an average of 2mpg in his hybrid accord. I think I will notice some on my truck.

Back