Preparing For Some Major Maint.-Suggestions and Advice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preparing For Some Major Maint.-Suggestions and Advice

uh60james

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport (Dora), '06 XLT
I have been overseas for about a year now and my Exploder has only been driven a few times and she wasn't doing good at all when I left. I have made a list of things that I would like to replace when I get home. Me and my friend who will be helping me are both helicopter mechanics so we are used to turning wrenches just not on cars. I am thinking that all of this work can be
done on a 4 day weekend in an auto shop we have access to on a military base. If you think I am crazy let me know! I am looking for any advice or tips from anybody that has done what I am about to do and recommendations for different parts or parts that I should be changing along with what I already have listed.

Engine

Rebuilt 4.0L V6 From www.hiperformer.com $2087.00

Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs $4.99 Ea

Duralast Wireset $28.99

I plan on re-using the injectors as they are rather expensive and I am trying to keep the price reasonable. Is there a good way to clean these while they are removed?

Suspension

Front End Kit w/Poly Bushings from www.espo.com $275
It says that some of these kits include new control arms (radius arms?) I will have to contact them to see. I will be replacing those as well since my Stut attach studs have broken off of both of them and I think that since the bushings have been left on so long there may be some elongation where the bolt runs through.

Rear Leaf Springs from www.generalspringkc.com $100 Ea
Not really sure if I need to replace the leafs springs or not yet, I am almost certain they are original.

Any suggestions for new shocks? I have no need for anything special since when I do travel off road it is usually the beach or some fairly mild trails.

Cooling

Transpro Radiator $157.99

Hoses Upper, Lower and Heater ~$50

I replaced the water pump about 8,000 miles ago with a Duralast waterpump so I plan on just swapping it to the new engine.

Misc Parts

Duralast ABS Brake Sensor $13.99

Master Fuel Pump $109.99

Duralast Solenoid Switch $11.99

I need to replace the battery cables as well. Does anybody have a good part number for them from autozone or another chain store? I hear the dealer price is pretty steep on these things.

Again, any tips on the maintenance required to change these parts or heads up on problems you have run into would be great. Also parts I need to or probably should replace when doing this stuff anyway. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are really in love with this truck for some reason than go for it. Other on this site have spent more on their rigs than what you plan.

However the sensible thing would be to take the cash you plan to put into it and get something different. You have 3K in parts listed without even factoring in labor and other things you might need to go with some of these parts.

spdy0001 I have been looking at getting another vehicle but whether or not I take on fixing this exploder depends on whether or not I get a job I am hoping for. I am trying to get a job overseas working on helicopters this summer after I get out of the army. If I can get it I don't want to be stuck with a car payment for a car that I can't even drive and have to pay insurance rates for a newer vehicle. I would rather just fix this old girl up. If I don't get the job I will still probably do everything I have listed above just not all at once. It will become my project during my free time.

I really don't need a whole new engine but I have a rear main seal leak and if the engine is going to have to come out anyway I see no reason not to either rebuild it or replace it as old as it is getting.

Rebuilt 4.0L V6 From www.hiperformer.com $2087.00

Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs $4.99 Ea

Duralast Wireset $28.99

I plan on re-using the injectors as they are rather expensive and I am trying to keep the price reasonable. Is there a good way to clean these while they are removed?

Suspension

Front End Kit w/Poly Bushings from www.espo.com $275
It says that some of these kits include new control arms (radius arms?) I will have to contact them to see. I will be replacing those as well since my Stut attach studs have broken off of both of them and I think that since the bushings have been left on so long there may be some elongation where the bolt runs through.

Rear Leaf Springs from www.generalspringkc.com $100 Ea
Not really sure if I need to replace the leafs springs or not yet, I am almost certain they are original.

Any suggestions for new shocks? I have no need for anything special since when I do travel off road it is usually the beach or some fairly mild trails.

Forget the Bosch plugs, go with Motorcraft.
As for shocks, go Bilstein.
Sounds like you also need new Radius Arm Brackets.
I would guess you need ball joints and tie rod ends as well.
I'm doing my radius arm bushings + new coil springs this weekend.
Next weekend it's the BJ's and TRE's. FunFunFun.:usa:

I think the front end kit from espo should include the tie rod ends and ball joints. Here is the description of the front end kit.

Prices are for KITS. Typical kits include outer tie rod ends, upper & lower ball joints, upper & lower control arm bushings, sway bar end links and frame bushings (excluding triangular Mopar sway bar bushings) and strut rod bushings (where applicable). Some Ford kits also include shaft kits and complete lower control arms. You can add inner tie rod ends, adjusting sleeves, idler arm, pitman arm, cam bolts, shaft kits, centerlink or anything else at a special add on price.

All parts are also sold individually and are either Moog, TRW or McQuay-Norris parts where available.

Thanks, it looks like I will be getting the Ford cables.

I have decided against the new engine, it is a lot of money to spend at once on such an old vehicle and I think she still has a lot of life left in her. I will still need to pull the engine and replace the rear main seal and oil pan seal. If anybody has done this can the engine be pulled and put back in in a day? Or should I plan on two days. Also what else should I be checking while the engine is already out?

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=1993&graphicID=T025140&callout=6&catalogid=1

Is item 6 what you are refering to as being the radius arm brackets or is the what theses actually connect too? If I had my Haynes I would look into but I don't have it over here with me.

Sounds like I will definitely go with the motorcraft plugs. I actually made an attempt at changing the plugs about a year ago and ran into some major problems, hopefully it won't be so bad with the engine pulled.

Thanks for the advice on the flywheel. They are only about $50 so I will pick one up and if by chance mine is in really good condition somehow just return it. On the autozone website I see flywheel shims listed is that the "spacer" you are talking about?

http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...=1993&graphicID=T025140&callout=6&catalogid=1

Is item 6 what you are refering to as being the radius arm brackets or is the what theses actually connect too? If I had my Haynes I would look into but I don't have it over here with me.

Sounds like I will definitely go with the motorcraft plugs. I actually made an attempt at changing the plugs about a year ago and ran into some major problems, hopefully it won't be so bad with the engine pulled.

Item 6 is the radius arm...the threaded rod end passes through the radius arm bracket...there are two, and they are bolted together in the center of the chassis, and them bolted and/or riveted to the frame rail. See if this link works for you.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/0c/74/71/0900823d800c7471.jsp

Back