Prerunner/weekend toy Explorer | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prerunner/weekend toy Explorer

I have a thread up in modified 95-01 Explorers, but since mine is mainly off-road I figured it would be more suitable to have a thread in here.

What I am working with

97 2wd Explorer 4 door with 5.0L V-8

Front suspension: 14" Wheel travel

Modified LCA to accept a 1" uniball as the outer pivot then boxed in accordingly. Custom UCA with 7/8" heim as outter pivot and 3/4" heim on frame pivots. Fabtech lift spindle tapped out for the heim and drilled knuckle for a 7/8" on the outter tie rod as well. Fox twin tube bypass shocks as well as a 2.0 body air shock per side assist the stock torsions with spring rate. Fox hydraulic bump stop off of the UCA

Rear suspension: 18" wheel travel

62" race leaf springs by Deaver with custom 12" long shackles. 18x2.5 triple bypasses by Fox though the wheel wells.

Other:

Baker 8" front fenders with FIberwerx 8 " fiber glass rear panels. Front and rear bumpers with a 2" rollcage threaded throughout still in the making. Fullsize axle out back with 4.56 gears and a L/S. 35x12.50 BFG Baja TAs and some Pro comp rims to hit the ground running.

IMG_9282.jpg

bakerfenders3.jpg

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

airshocks2-1.jpg

airshocks-1.jpg

0814091447.jpg

P9070155-1.jpg

0814091446.jpg

1022091859.jpg

1016091122.jpg

1214092118.jpg

1218092256.jpg

1217092038.jpg

1217092037.jpg

1219091420a.jpg

1219091120a.jpg

IMG_9255.jpg

0417001332.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

octwell_map.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how long are your links? do you know if a link kit for a ranger work?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

how long are your links? do you know if a link kit for a ranger work?

They were originally 60" but had to cut them down a few inches because even with the added wheelbase the b-pilar cage mount to the frame was in the way. I'm sure 50-55" trailing arms for a ranger/Toyota would work fine

My boy is getting the rear cargo/wheel well/fuel cell area closed off and the door bars in

image_zpsimnd7l2w.jpg

image_zps6s38s9io.jpg

I concur this is a crap thread...you and your fancy fab skills and cool truck! You need to pm me so I can come take that pile to the junk yard for you.
Just kidding, that's awesome.
Greg

If its finished, you should bring it out to Truckhaven over MLK weekend. I know its probably not really your thing but there are some long washes in the area, and its an Explorer event.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437487

We have a house out in Salton Sea so we frequent truck haven from time to time. It's cool to go out there and cruise but I have more fun in the Rzr out there than the explorer lol. I'll make one of these explorer runs though to come and hang out. I'm sure some of the slower pace off roaders will probably trip over it.

I just wish I could have two Explorers, one like mine, and one like yours.

Lol, this one sure has been a lot of work! 2 years just on the rear half of the truck now.

my hero

WTF! You are awesome sir. I have a 2001 x and i have been trying to figure out what to do to it, well problem solved. You are my hero! i want mine to be able to still handle on road driving still. i dont believe i want mine to be as awesome as yours right now. (key word now) How did you first extend the a-arms? do you still have the first ones laying around? i live out in shelter valley and frequent superstition. would you be willing to take a few mins of your time to show help what ever... with some a-arms? once again your awesome.
:thumbsup::salute::hammer: i cant figure it out

My boy got the shocks sealed up and the side of the chassis where the fuel cell was exposed. Almost done!

image_zpshedx8lfu.jpg

image_zpsbixov4el.jpg

I dont even know what any of that is but holy **** it looks good.

I dont even know what any of that is but holy **** it looks good.

Top pic is right behind the axle where the fuel cell hangs down and is being covered by paneling.
Bottom picture is if you open the rear door you see this. The shocks are house in those combination of panels to keep the dirt/sand etc out of the cab. The rear panel comes off in a couple buttons to access the shocks easily to adjust bypasses and coil over preload.

Thank you sir!

Hi. I have a one question to you. What type of transmission do you have and how you make a gear selector? Thank you.

Hi. I have a one question to you. What type of transmission do you have and how you make a gear selector? Thank you.

I have a PATC 4R70W interceptor with billet input and intermediate shafts and a 2500 rpm stall converter.

Getting the floor and fuel cell area covered up with panels. She's almost there!

image_zpsvgtr1u4w.jpg

About to wrap up the rear of the explorer! Gotta feed the filler through the rear panel and seal it off and install the 3rd member and measure for the driveshaft revolve shocks and test her!

AE100A7C-CD93-4941-A644-0A5C44E6F866_zpstus2epc4.jpg

Back