• Register Today It's free!

Prerunners

Pendarus

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4X4 XLT 4 Door
I was considerng converting my 94 into a prerunner (eventually). Being in SoCal the desert here seems more suited to that style. Would all the members with prerunners post pictures of thier rigs so I can get some ideas on modifications? (I'm sure everybody would like to see them as well) Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i'm not to proud of these pictures but if you go to the whoops! section of this website you will see my 94 prerunner upside down.let me know what you think.

------------------
94 explorer 4x4 (pre-runner)v-6

heres a pic of my truck..I'm looking into some new fiberglass front fenders. Get about a 3 inch bulge. well i cant get a pic to post with the html off so heres a link to my aol page..the pic sucks with the sun but oh well. Least you can see my truck. Dead Link Removed

------------------
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16
Flowmaster 2 chamber 2.25"
KKM intake
Clears all the way around
4.11 gears w/Auburn posi

MikeX,

Well very cool rig from what I can see. How much damage did you do? Hope your back up and running soon!

well, there wasnt as much damage as everyone had thought, the whole driverside was damaged, and the roof but that was about it. I should have it this friday all painted viper red, and fixed up completly.

------------------

You can see my truck on the Truck Haven 2000 trip pics. Only action photo in there. I have a '92 XLT 4x4 and it handles pretty good doing prerunner style roads the way i have it set up, and it also kicks booty climbing. I have the best of both worlds with my explorer. I used to have a 2x4 ranger that had 4 link 9" in the rear and full-sized beams up the front. I did the SCORE Firecracker 250 course and had a pretty good lap time. Also the pics are titled "Colin Ignacio, check out those fenders." Eventually I'm going to get the rear fiberglass like the Perry's with a 9" and full-sized beams. I say go for it. They look good that way and once you get the feel for the weight driving it it's not a bad "prerunner."

-----------------

Colin "Fenderguy" Ignacio

'92 XLT 4x4

4" Trailmaster

Fiberglass fenders (fr)

Buchwakers flares (r)

BFG All-Terrain 33's

Magnaflow cat back

K&N cone filter

4.56 Strange Gears

Tru-trac limited slip (fr)

Detroit locker (r)

MikeX

Can you e-mail me some pictures of your truck before it went greasy side up? Also any specs and name of the shop that did the work? Hope thats not asking to much. Can't wait to see it finished and painted! Your rig is the direction I want to go...but for now I must save up my pennies.

where can you purchase the prerunner front end, i have never seen them advertised anywhere. about what do they cost?

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.
bosch plat.4s
jacobs electronics wires
k&n drop in- mod. airbox.
skid plate
maxflow exhaust
smittybilt front bumper
thule roof rack
more to come! ;)

I think the front end is by Perry's Fab and Fiber. Check out Perry's Explorer on the featured vehicles page. Hope this helps.

Ok - what makes a prerunner setup different from a rock crawler or mudder?

JonM

------------------
Jon McLeod
'93 XLT
K&N Drop-In
Modified Airbox
Kenwood Audio
(Am/Fm cassette head + 6-disc changer in the center console)
Rancho RS5000's

Next project: Headers, 1.5" lift (add-a-leaf and spacers), 31x10.50's

That's a good question. It seems the guy who posted his pic of the Team iLLusive Explorer looks just like mine. I could be wrong though. I'm not cracking on your Explorer just wondering the same thing. I think your Explorer looks good. I've always thought that one of the things that distinguishes a pre-runner from any other vehicle is lift, tires and tubular bumpers. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also James Duff makes a Pre-Runner front bumper for the 94 Explorer. In fact I have one on order right now. They're about $465 shipped. (That's paying to be shipped to the east coast from Washington State.) I think they're advertised for around $400. Not sure though. Your best bet is to visit http://www.jamesduff.com .

Happy Wheelin',

Joe Dead Link Removed

My understanding of the difference between a Rock Crawler and a Pre Runner is this..

Rock Crawlers are based around articulation, traction, and being able to conquer rocks through low gearing and transfer cases. Though it's fun, heaven for me is my truck and just a pit of mud Dead Link Removed.

Pre Runners however, are built for an extremely exciting form of desert racing. If you ever get the chance, TNN and ESPN have the races every once in a while, and they are insane! Pre-Runners are built to be able to go pretty fast, but most of all handle huge bumps while doing it. To be successful they need very well built suspension, and the "typical prerunner bumper" protects not only the front, but also the lower part of the engine compartment and steering components from anything that might pop up on the course.

Pre Runners, In my opinion are amazing trucks, with amazing mods. I think thats why a lot of people use them even if they don't race. That's why I am, because Pre Runner mods will help my truck to become a reliable Mud Runner Dead Link Removed

Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
Me too. Check out my web page.
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

Oh and the James Duff bumper is $250, but they are coming out with a two new ones, one with a reciever hitch and the other with winch mount. Those both are $300
Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

I know my truck has a stance of a 4x4. I dont have my front end up in the air like most of the prerunners are. I know my suspension articulates very well out on the trails. I did farely well out at truckhaven on some of the trails. What i did like was running the wash at 55mph and hitting all the bumps. My suspension is softer than the guys with the 4x4's. I'm going to go back to Fabtech and have some double shock mounts made for long travel. Just savin on the $$$.
For the front fenders i'm going to place called Glassworks here in orange county, CA. I know some guys and can get the fiberglass fender bulge for a REALLY good price. I thought about the 98 conversion, but thinking againest it.
Anyone know where to get the full prerunner bumper with skid plate? I'm looking for something like MikeX has on his truck.

------------------
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16
Flowmaster 2 chamber 2.25"
KKM intake
Clears all the way around
4.11 gears w/Auburn posi

I don't know of anyone that makes them short of having them custom made for your truck which can cost upwards of $400.00. That's whya I'm just going to make my own. Besides I'll appreciate it more that way.

Mat

------------------
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
Interested in trucks..?
MatnChad.com
www.matnchad.com

my bumbers and skid plate were done by fabtricks here in phoenix. 300 for it. custom made.

------------------

Back