Press on or snap/ lock fittings on 91 X fuel pressure regulator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Press on or snap/ lock fittings on 91 X fuel pressure regulator

lobo4570

Reaction score
City, State
Klamath Falls, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 door 4x4
I have searched and searched the first gen X forum but I am unable to find an easy way to get the return line on my fuel pressure regulator off. I would like to change out to the screw on type but need to get my old pressure regulator off that is bad order first.

Thanks for any help or ideas, Lobo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to replace my fpr also maybe they have a special tool

SLOW RIDER

If you can wait a few days I should have my 91 up and running again.

I found the parts that I hope will fix my leaking FPR at Rock Auto. You can see what I ended up with by going to www.rockauto.com.

Open the catalog.
Enter your 91 X.
Click on Fuel/Air.
Click on Fuel Line Connector.

I ordered out the Dorman Part # 800051 Nylon Fuel Repair Line for $10.97. This repair kit comes with the spring snap/lock tool that is need to disconnect the nylon fuel line that is below and to the rear of the power steering pump. I also order out both sizes of the spring lock fuel line connectors. I am not sure if I am going to need them but for less than 4 buck each I will have them just in case. By the way Auto Zone wanted $10.68 for one spring lock. Rock Auto has really great prices I just wish I had found out about them years ago.

When the parts show up I will let you know if this is what you will need to fix your 91 X.

Lobo

whrere is the FPR leaking from? If its coming directly from the FPR you may need to check and replace the o rings i heard you can mess them up while installing. Im waiting for my FPR i found one on ebay for $45 it should be here to day .

A tidbit that may help. Change the 1991 fpr for a 1992-1994 style. They are cheaper and easier to find. All you need to do is change the one flex line that goes to it. That also means no more snap/lock style fitting at the fpr, just a single wrench style.

~Mark

If a bad fpr flooded a engine how do you get the gas out before replacing the old fpr?

SLOW RIDER

I have all the parts from Rockauto and plan on working on my X Tuesday. Not sure if I like the looks of the nylon fuel repair line now that I have it in my hands. Will see how things go when I put it together and if not happy the U-Pick yard here has a 94 X and I will take Maniak's advice and change over to that style. The more I think about it the more I wish that I had gone with the change to the screw of type to start with. I will let you know how things turn out.

Lobo

I am back on the road again. I used the Dorman nylon repair line and the hose barb that came with it along with 14 inches 1/4 inch gas line. I cut all but 2 inches of the nylon line that was already connected to the snap lock that goes on the FPR. I put the hose barb into the nylon line and then my gas line on the other end of the hose barb. I then cut the old nylon line off of the spring lock on the other end of the stock line and put my new gas line on the hose barb that is on that spring lock. Along with a couple of hose clamps and about 12 inches of 1/2 inch convoluted tubing that I put over the rubber gas line for protection I am up and running again.

If I had it to do over again I would bend a short peace of 1/4 inch copper tubing in a 90 hose clamp that to the FPR with 1/4 inch fuel line and then go off the other end of the 90 with 1/4 fuel line to the spring lock on the fuel line behind and below the power steering pump. That way one would get away from the O ring that is in the snap lock that goes on the FPR and that is what was leaking in the first place. This would make for a cheap and easy fix to a leaking O-ring in the snap lock.

As far as just replacing the O-ring in the snap lock I gave that a try and was unable to get a new one in. If the grove that the O-ring sets in was at the very end of the snap lock I could have put a new one in but the grove is about 1/4 inch or more from the end and I was unable to get it into the grove.

Hope this helps, Lobo

did you try to lubricate the o ring ?you can use a little motor oil.
is it still leaking ?

FPR fittings

Hi all, new to this forum - finally getting around to picking off the nits with my old trusty 91 XLT. It suffers from the common ailment of of intermittent leaking FPR, from the push-on fitting connection. I've had the Ford folks fool around with this with no luck.

As suggested on this forum I picked up a new generic 92 ford explorer FPR with the threaded fitting thinking that I would just splice in a new 90deg threaded female coupler / barb fitting with double hose clamps.

Now the hunt is on for information about finding a fitting. The auto parts folks have no clue as to the thread or flare fitting specification. I've been told that it is a special ford fitting/ or it's metric / or its an -AN configuration. I tried locating a used hose from the wrecker but no luck finding a replacement...
Can someone tell me what I need as far as fitting specification, so I can do do a simple repair to the existing lines without getting into a wholesale refit of the entire fuel line?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

What part of the country are you in? (or what Country?).

Normally you just grab the line off a 1992-1994 X at the junk yard. There is a Junk yard vendor on here and someone around may be heading to the junk yard and may be able to grab one for you.

Heck, I might still have one in the box o spare parts.

~Mark

Hi Mark, thanks for the quick reply.
I'm in Colorado, and have called a couple of salvage yards with no luck getting the line... Either the line has been damaged when they clipped it to get the engine out, or someone fighting the same problem, has already snagged the fitting off of it.
Other than than Rangers and Navaho vehicles, were there any other Ford 4.0L engines using this type of FPR?
I'm OK with building up a line if I can just get the P/N specifications?
Thanks again,
Mike

UPDATE: Replacement FPR has a metric thread - 14mm x 1.50, internal flare of 60 deg incl angle. Here is home-built 90deg. compression fitting with hose barb..
http://co122w.col122.mail.live.com/...yMDEyXzA3MjAoMDExKS5KUEd8aW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d

Back