Preventative Maintenance 2000 Ford Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preventative Maintenance 2000 Ford Explorer

FYI, the O/D switch on the shifter will not allow the trans to go into Overdrive if it is shorted out but the light will not flash. Also there's a speed sensor located near the tailshaft housing that, when going out or has gone out, will cause the O/D Off light to flash intermittently or constantly. On the latter (5R55E) this sensor is located on the rear drivers side of the transmission and will cause the same symptoms.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ve replaced the items listed above and still have the P0741 O/D flashing on me after 10 mins of driving. Any other ideas on what can cause this ? Thank you

I’ve replaced the items listed above and still have the P0741 O/D flashing on me after 10 mins of driving. Any other ideas on what can cause this ? Thank you

What did you do for the transmission so far? If the code is related to any solenoids, it's time to replace all solenoids. That's like doing one brake pad on one side, don't; do them as a set unless the mileage is very low.

If the ATF looks and smells okay, then do the solenoids and see if that corrects the issue. If it doesn't then if the symptom is major, it might be time for a shop to check it out. If the issue is minor, then a VB kit and a couple three Sonnax VB upgrade parts would be wise. I do all of that and accumulators anyway any time I get a different vehicle. It all helps functioning, and is not wasted when a rebuild is done if needed shortly later.

If the VB has to come off, you must replace the VB gaskets, buy those in sets and buy an extra one of each as spares in case.

For the transfer case, use only obsolete Mercon I(now in store still called Dexron III(used to be called Mercon/Dexron III)), or the obsolete XL-12, but never the newer versions like Mercon V, LV etc. The latest TC fluid is also expensive like XL-12 used to be, about $25, so instead, buy the new Valvoline TC fluid, which is about $6 a quart from Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VDQLVZ/?tag=serious-20

The transmission does take Mercon V, which is slicker than Mercon and can hurt the TC.

He ordered solenoids a while back. I’ll assume they’re installed.

Could be a valve body issue (I’m not smart on how the TCC circuit flows in this tranny). Or your TC could be shot.

That said, how does it drive and shift? I drove with that code for a LONG time. On highway trips, the TC wouldn’t lock up, and the RPMs would kick up a few hundred RPM and the O/D OFF light would flash. I think I put over 10,000mi on it like that, before deciding to have the unit rebuilt.

My point? If it drives okay...you may want to consider driving it rather than opening this can of worms further. When shifting/driveability symptoms appear, run through the whole trans and rebuild it. That’s just me, though...

He ordered solenoids a while back. I’ll assume they’re installed.

Could be a valve body issue (I’m not smart on how the TCC circuit flows in this tranny). Or your TC could be shot.

That said, how does it drive and shift? I drove with that code for a LONG time. On highway trips, the TC wouldn’t lock up, and the RPMs would kick up a few hundred RPM and the O/D OFF light would flash. I think I put over 10,000mi on it like that, before deciding to have the unit rebuilt.

My point? If it drives okay...you may want to consider driving it rather than opening this can of worms further. When shifting/driveability symptoms appear, run through the whole trans and rebuild it. That’s just me, though...

That issue with the OD light flashing, and the rpm's changing(more often than intended), is absolutely a shifting/driveability symptom, and should be dealt with ... not ignored.

The TCC does control the TC lock up, and it's a simple circuit controlling the clutches inside the TC. If that isn't working properly, that can ruin the TC eventually, such is in 10,000mi. The TC is very reliable, but like every part others can affect it. You should have saved the cost of rebuilding the trans later, by fixing the problem when it first showed up.

The TCC solenoid is inexpensive, and easy to replace. Aside from high dollar labor at a shop, it's less than an hour of work after the pan is down.

Again, what solenoids were changed in the original poster's truck? It makes little sense to replace two solenoids, when the other two right next to them can be done in an extra five minutes or less. Don't be cheap, do them all, which costs less in the long run.

The EPC solenoid should also be replaced, but that one is a little harder to change. It's the most critical solenoid in there, the top dog in charge of all main pressure. But the shift linkage has to be unbolted to get it out and the new one in. That one is expensive, used to be $110-$125, now they've come down to the $90 level I see.

I’ve replaced all solenoids, valve body, valve body gasket, new transmission fluid and i even replaced the transmission speed sensor since it was acting up. I’m thinking it can be the torque converter itself. When the o/d light not flashing it shifts like butter and super smooth. I’ve noticed that with temperatures rising and driving around 60 mph it starts to flash. The shifting becomes slightly rough and in higher RPM depending on the speed that I’m driving. Other then that it drive amazing when the O/D light not flashing.

I bought a valve body with all new solenoids.

Attachments

• AF4EFC4C-1F77-49FB-8585-05283247F529.jpeg
    AF4EFC4C-1F77-49FB-8585-05283247F529.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 74

You likely need a torque converter, and maybe a transmission overhaul.
Code P0741 is not a simple one to resolve, due to the TCC command hierarchy.
So many things can cause that code: converter hub, pump stator seal, BOO switch, valve body, and on & on.
The hard shifting and increase in engine RPM, that's the power train going into "limp home mode", ramping up pressures to get you off the road for necessary repairs. Do not drive vehicle until you get it repaired.
As long time members surely must recall, my truck caught fire from a P0741, as I was driving to the shop.
If you want to read, Google "Ford Explorer Trial By Fire" (photosuckit killed all the images, so it's text only).

Copy, will be getting the torque converter and go from there. Thank you for your assistance

Have you tried this little trick yet. Really helped me solver a minor clunk when coming to a stop.

If you want to read, Google "Ford Explorer Trial By Fire" (photosuckit killed all the images, so it's text only).

@drdoom

If you are using CHROME as a browser, you can add an "extension" to Chrome called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" which will make all of the Photobucket Photos added to the thread appear as normal, in their originally posted size.

NOTE: This Chrome extension does this for ALL FORUMS on the internet that have Photobucket photos - not only Exploere Forum!

So, I just GOOGLED "Ford Explorer Trial By Fire" and everything (including photos) appear A-OK in my CHROME browser!

Link to your 2011 Posting to the Explorer Forum: Trial By Fire: 5R55E, Shade Tree Style

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

New finding in diagnosing this issue. Today I drove the car for 80 miles on the highway during the rain and the O/D did not turn on and it was down shifting and up shifting smoothly. I come to realize it has something to do with the temperature. Any chance that it can be the transmission cooler radiator ? Going to try to flush the transmission cooler radiator. Thank you

So you replaced the valve body, and reset the PCM? I am not exactly following your progress here so bear with me.
How is the fluid looking?
Also, if you do get excessive torque converter clutch slip, the heat will spike for sure. But I doubt any amount of transmission cooling could lower the viscousity of the fluid enough to counteract any internal leakage in the hydraulic circuits. YMMV

What did you do for the transmission so far? If the code is related to any solenoids, it's time to replace all solenoids. That's like doing one brake pad on one side, don't; do them as a set unless the mileage is very low.

If the ATF looks and smells okay, then do the solenoids and see if that corrects the issue. If it doesn't then if the symptom is major, it might be time for a shop to check it out. If the issue is minor, then a VB kit and a couple three Sonnax VB upgrade parts would be wise. I do all of that and accumulators anyway any time I get a different vehicle. It all helps functioning, and is not wasted when a rebuild is done if needed shortly later.

If the VB has to come off, you must replace the VB gaskets, buy those in sets and buy an extra one of each as spares in case.

For the transfer case, use only obsolete Mercon I(now in store still called Dexron III(used to be called Mercon/Dexron III)), or the obsolete XL-12, but never the newer versions like Mercon V, LV etc. The latest TC fluid is also expensive like XL-12 used to be, about $25, so instead, buy the new Valvoline TC fluid, which is about $6 a quart from Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VDQLVZ/?tag=serious-20

The transmission does take Mercon V, which is slicker than Mercon and can hurt the TC.

For the Transfer case:
XL-12 is now Mercon LV (per ford dealer). That is what you would get if you got serviced at Ford.
Mercon V is forbidden

That being said the truck called for Mercon (nothing else) when new. You could buy SuperTech Mercon (not Mercon V) and technically that should do the trick. There is no official Mercon licensed spec though, so you have to trust the company it meet standards.

The Xfer case fluid, for the price, is a good deal. I think you need 2 quts (some left over).

For the Transfer case:
XL-12 is now Mercon LV (per ford dealer). That is what you would get if you got serviced at Ford.
Mercon V is forbidden

That being said the truck called for Mercon (nothing else) when new. You could buy SuperTech Mercon (not Mercon V) and technically that should do the trick. There is no official Mercon licensed spec though, so you have to trust the company it meet standards.

The Xfer case fluid, for the price, is a good deal. I think you need 2 quts (some left over).

All that may be true, sure, but you/we need to watch and stay ahead of the service recommendations, which are occasionally wrong. That's what this conversation is about, Ford telling people to use Mercon V in everything that had used Mercon. I think you are old enough to know that this isn't the first time OEM's recommend things that are not good to do. We have to learn what is right and what is not, and spread the word.

I don't think I want to use the newest transfer case recommendation immediately after they change it again. You see, I prefer to do what I learned does work, and see what happens with the newest ideas. So Mercon is still available though not by name any more. Since the Mercon V mistake by Ford over ten years ago, there are now how many acceptable TC fluids?

The Valvoline TC fluid is kind of new, but it was made to fit the need of Ford TC's, without also having to be a transmission fluid. I've always liked Valvoline. So I'll use their TC fluid, and keep using it even if/when Ford again changes their TC fluid recommendation.

"Motorcraft syn blend mercon v trans fluid "

Mercon V is full synthetic

I would pull the trouble code before I ordered any parts

5r55e = mercon V
transfer case = Mercon III /Dex

I have performed the PCM reset and tried the shift learning process and i still have the O/D light flashing with P0741. I'm going to replace the torque converter and go from there. Thanks

Back