• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Preventative maintenance list?

Chris-1997

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey new member here and I was looking for some insight on some preventive maintenance items/parts I should change. It's a 1997 ford Mercury Mountaineer with 228,600+ miles. These are some items/parts I've changed not all where preventive maintainace like the AC system.
Spark plugs and wires
Thermostat
Tires
AC system
Coolant
Oil and filter
Throttle position sensor
Coolant temp sensor
Added leaf spring helpers
Changed spare tire
Air filter
Wiper blades
Transmission oil
Sway bar links and bushings.
That's about all that I've done and am about to change brake fluid and I'm thinking about changing the shocks the person that owned it before me put the cheapest shocks they can buy and I feel like the vehicle is really low but I'm not sure if that's the normal ride height any suggestions on some good shocks I don't do off-roading but the roads here are pretty bumpy I mostly drive on highways. I am also going to change the coolant hoses and heater hoses so any other things I should change before it fails that would be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Differential fluids, transfer case if 4wd/awd. They can be prone to power steering whine and shudder which can usually be helped by sucking the reservoir dry with an oil pump or turkey baster. Differing opinions on quality power steering fluid vs the Mercon v. I've used both wire no issues.

Chris-1997

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
Differential fluids, transfer case if 4wd/awd. They can be prone to power steering whine and shudder which can usually be helped by sucking the reservoir dry with an oil pump or turkey baster. Differing opinions on quality power steering fluid vs the Mercon v. I've used both wire no issues.
Could you explain the steering wine and shudder more I have that issue and some more info would be great thanks

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Fords of this generation tend to have noisy pumps. Sometimes it seems the old, worn fluid makes this problem worse. I've quieted a pump that whined when the wheels where turned at a standstill with a fluid swap. I sucked the entire reservoir dry with a turkey baster. I added a quality Mercon V atf until full. I drove for a week, and repeated. This allows the new fluid to flush through the pump and rack. I did this several times to replace the majority of the fluid, and it made my pump noticeably quieter. ATF is cheap and it's easy enough for anyone to do, so it's worth a try.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
And, also, welcome to the site!

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
I just put on KYB Gas-A-Justs about a year ago. Firmed up my ride slightly, but not anything close to stiff. Handles washboard country dirt roads well.

IMO, these are not a performance shock to handle carving corners. I consider them a good alternative to OEM, and "think" this is how the OEM shocks rode when new :dunno:

After a year, still happy with them :thumbsup:

Centaurus5.0

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
V8?

Along with ALL the fluids, a set of remaned injectors, new upstream o2s and a can of mass air meter cleaner would make a big difference. Less than $200 total if you shopped on ebay. (get motorcraft o2's).

I put new injectors in my rig at 80,000 miles and it made a big difference in off idle/tip in throttle response. Cleaners-in-a-bottle will never clean injectors as well as taking them apart and having them sonic cleaned and internal filters replaced and flowed to confirm results.

Oh, and don't forget the fuel filter.