Preventative treatment for Black vehicles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preventative treatment for Black vehicles

GrafX

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hey guys.

Ordering a Black '17 Sport and just found out this won't fit in my garage so it will have to deal with the elements all year round here in Northeast Ohio. I'm actually thinking about taking it to a detailer the first week I get it for a glaze-type treatment applied for protection and following up maybe twice a year?

I'm lucky enough to have experience watching my fairly new Black IROC Z-28 get swirl marks after a detailing treatment back in the early 90's and don't want to repeat my mistakes when I was in my 20's. What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3M or equivalent clear bra on the bumper, hood, and where ever else you want.
Opti coat or similar ceramic paint protection.

Just buy a good quality car cover. That sucks it will not fit in your garage. The outdoor elements will cause wear on the paint job. The car cover if you are not lazy about doing it every day when you park car at home will help greatly. If you eventually get swirl marks you might want to look at the Meguiars car waxes but I will say it takes a helluva lot of "elbow grease" to remove those swirl marks although it is possible. You gotta rub hard and in circles and consistently. About 3 hours worth of buffing to get it out

3M or equivalent clear bra on the bumper, hood, and where ever else you want.
Opti coat or similar ceramic paint protection.

I've looked into the clear bra options I found from this forum but all the vehicles are white. White color hides these treatment details very nicely but not for black.

Just buy a good quality car cover. That sucks it will not fit in your garage. The outdoor elements will cause wear on the paint job. The car cover if you are not lazy about doing it every day when you park car at home will help greatly. If you eventually get swirl marks you might want to look at the Meguiars car waxes but I will say it takes a helluva lot of "elbow grease" to remove those swirl marks although it is possible. You gotta rub hard and in circles and consistently. About 3 hours worth of buffing to get it out

LOL Understood. This is why I'm asking. Just seeing if it's prudent to get this type of detailing done the same week after receiving the vehicle, or if I should wait.

I've heard a few people swear by Zaino products. Never tried them myself, but something to look into.

Also, regarding cover, would that be a good idea for a vehicle that sits outside? If you put the cover on a dirty vehicle(or not "just washed") on a windy day, is it going to scratch the paint?

I've heard a few people swear by Zaino products. Never tried them myself, but something to look into.

Also, regarding cover, would that be a good idea for a vehicle that sits outside? If you put the cover on a dirty vehicle(or not "just washed") on a windy day, is it going to scratch the paint?
I've read about those concerns as well.

Peter

I too have the same problem and I highly recommend putting up a carport, its cheaper in the long run especially if you have multiple vehicles, not just from the sun but hail rain sleet snow trees etc...

Hey guys.

Ordering a Black '17 Sport and just found out this won't fit in my garage so it will have to deal with the elements all year round here in Northeast Ohio. I'm actually thinking about taking it to a detailer the first week I get it for a glaze-type treatment applied for protection and following up maybe twice a year?

I'm lucky enough to have experience watching my fairly new Black IROC Z-28 get swirl marks after a detailing treatment back in the early 90's and don't want to repeat my mistakes when I was in my 20's. What do you think?
I think the sun would be your vehicle's biggest enemy, especially with it being black. I'm guessing you have a single driveway. Here some people erect temporary car shelters in their driveways in the Winter but most of them have double driveways.

Peter

My question is why it won't fit in your garage? I have a single stall garage with an overhead opener, and the Explorer fits just fine. Particularly my '16 with the shark fin antenna. On my '14 I had to put on a stubby so it wouldn't catch on the door.

A standard width single door will accommodate the Explorer.

I think the sun would be your vehicle's biggest enemy, especially with it being black. I'm guessing you have a single driveway. Here some people erect temporary car shelters in their driveways in the Winter but most of them have double driveways.

Peter

Yeah, i'm not about to build an impenetrable fortress around my vehicle. It's just a car. Just want a little added protection to make it last, that's it.

My question is why it won't fit in your garage? I have a single stall garage with an overhead opener, and the Explorer fits just fine. Particularly my '16 with the shark fin antenna. On my '14 I had to put on a stubby so it wouldn't catch on the door.

A standard width single door will accommodate the Explorer.

simple; it won't fit.

Yeah, i'm not about to build an impenetrable fortress around my vehicle. It's just a car. Just want a little added protection to make it last, that's it.
Perhaps you're not familiar with these shelters. They consist of tubular steel with a light cover. Much like a long tent. I'm guessing they can be put up in less than 30 minutes but they don't do much to enhance the neigbourhood. :D I think using a good quality wax 2 or 3 times a year would suffice.

Peter

Perhaps you're not familiar with these shelters. They consist of tubular steel with a light cover. Much like a long tent. I'm guessing they can be put up in less than 30 minutes but they don't do much to enhance the neigbourhood. :D I think using a good quality wax 2 or 3 times a year would suffice.

Peter

kinda tough to do in a developement. It's pretty much a callsign for bored kids to fark with. Don't want it to be that obvious.

That makes no sense. Post a picture.

Sounds simple to me.
Vehicle>garage.

I live on 11 acres at home.
Here in south Florida, some of these "modern" communities are built so dense, that the garage space is laughable. People live in shoe box compartments for a home, and you would be hard pressed to fit a compact car and a bicycle in the garage.

So I guess it depends where you live, and how dense.

Take it to a professional shop and get a Cquartz ceramic paint protection applied, followed by an Xpel wrap. It's the ultimate protection, but you will not like the price tag......

Go to autogeeks forum. They have a tremendous amount of info on detailing and protecting. I bought one of their all in one kits for paint sealing and waxing. Took me a few hours to detail my black 16 Sport. Was easy to apply and lasts for six months. I also have to leave mine out in the Michigan weather.

I have heard you need to let the paint set for a month or so before you seal it.

Stay away from the car wash. Do it yourself.

Sounds simple to me.
Vehicle>garage.

I live on 11 acres at home.
Here in south Florida, some of these "modern" communities are built so dense, that the garage space is laughable. People live in shoe box compartments for a home, and you would be hard pressed to fit a compact car and a bicycle in the garage.

So I guess it depends where you live, and how dense.
Finding a decent size garage was a problem when we went house hunting around here. Every home we looked at seem to be suffering from TGS (Tiny Garage Syndrome). I had it out with several real estate agents for daring to list what they showed me as "2-car" and "3-car" garages

Most weren't deep enough to park a standard cab, short bed F150 inside. Wake up "architects"! It's only one of the most popular vehicles in the nation.

Two "genius" builders plopped water softeners in one bay of a 2-car garage, rendering it only suitable for Smart Cars, Fiat 500s and MINIs.

The 3rd bay on most every 3-car garage was significantly shorter than the 2-car side, again making it impractical for actually putting a 3rd car in the garage.

One agent said that the 3rd bay is really intended for lawn mowers, bikes, and storage. I had to ask why they listed it as a three-CAR garage then. Another agent said they make garages smaller now "because many people just use garages for storage." I said, "Of course they do. You certainly can't fit a car in one anymore."

When I am king of the world, no room or structure less than 22' deep, and 8' wide per bay will legally be listed as a garage.

Now it's time to get off my soapbox. I have work to do in the car closet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My jet black Saab has been parked outside for over a decade. Black really shows swirls (and dirt) so I never go to a car wash unless it is a hand spray jet in the winter.

I wash about every two weeks. Sometimes once a week. Two bucket method with a quality sheepskin mitt (that gets washed after every use) and standard car wash liquid. Will still get light swirls, so once a year I take an orbital buffer to it. Just need a light setting, medium cutting pad then a fine pad.

4 times a year (you can do more often as it is an easy wipe-on, wipe-off) it gets Ultima Paint Guard Plus.

I get compliments all the time that old Saab looks good as new. Paint is still in great shape.

Back