Preventing rust in newly drilled holes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Preventing rust in newly drilled holes?

I drilled some holes in my frame for some tow hooks. I am just wondering if any of you have any suggestions for some sort of product to put on the bare metal in the holes so I am not going to have to deal with any rust. I was thinking a spray paint like Rustoleum but maybe just even a brush on product might work for what I am doing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

paint :)

Frames dont rust easy.

You can also put some bearing grease around the bolt and under the washers, that will keep moisture out

Rubberized underbody coating works nicely.

410Fortune said:
You can also put some bearing grease around the bolt and under the washers, that will keep moisture out

I never thought of bearing grease. Do they make small containers for such an application?

unclemeat said:
Rubberized underbody coating works nicely.

I was thinking about that too but the holes I drilled are so snug to the bolt that I am afraid it would rub off.

Just get a tub of gease and roll the bolt around in it real quick, it will saty and prevent any rust.

befroe running the bolt in, give it a light coating of rtv

Back